old QFR - nudist?

by seenitall 9 Replies latest jw friends

• seenitall
    seenitall

Get a great laugh from this gem from the 50's

Is there any objection to a dedicated Christian minister’sbelonging to a nudist group or living at a nudist camp or resort?
    —M.
    D., United States.

Whether man would have continued naked had he not sinned the Word of God does not explicitly state. However, we do note that after the first human pair sinned Jehovah God made clothes for them, slaughtering animals to provide the skins. (Gen. 3:21) Certainly that was a change from their original nakedness. But since these clothes were provided by the Creator himself, who would dare claim that Adam and Eve would have been better off without them? Certainly throughout the Scriptures we note that God’s servants wore clothing, and oftentimes it is described.

More than that, man is the only creature on earth that has need of clothing, and that for at least three sound reasons. First, as a protection from the elements and nature, from heat and cold, from rough terrain or thorns, and so forth. Secondly, there is the matter of beauty and comeliness. Clothing adds to the appearance, helps give one a measure of confidence and serves to cover one’s unseemly parts, even as the apostle Paul notes at 1 Corinthians 12:23. And thirdly, there is the matter of modesty. Thus we read at Revelation 16:15 that Christians should take care lest they lose their garments and be exposed to shame. True, this refers to spiritual garments, but the illustration would be without force if the nude state were to be preferred to the clothed.

Further, the Scriptures admonish Christian women to be chaste and modest in their attire: “I desire the women to adorn themselves in well-arranged dress, with modesty and soundness of mind.” (1 Tim. 2:9) It would be stretching credulity to believe, as claimed by the nudists, that men and women of the world are of such a high moral tone that in the presence of nude women they would not be likely to transgress along the line Jesus mentioned at Matthew 5:28: “Everyone that keeps on looking at a woman so as to have a passion for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”

Therefore no dedicated Christian minister can remain in good standing in the New World society of Jehovah’s witnesses and at the same time be a member of a nudist colony or frequent nudist camps.

• donny
    donny

Therefore no dedicated Christian minister can remain in good standing in the New World society of Jehovah’s witnesses and at the same time be a member of a nudist colony or frequent nudist camps.

What if one only visits them infrequently?

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Thanks for posting that gem.

It would be stretching credulity to believe, as claimed by the nudists, that men and women of the world are of such a high moral tone that in the presence of nude women they would not be likely to transgress along the line Jesus mentioned at Matthew 5:28...

Hmmm, it seems that men and women only get aroused by the sight of nude women. I guess women (and men) don't find the naked male JW body erotic.

I mean, c'mon!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

What if one only visits them infrequently?

Then there will be a stiff penalty for that.

Really, I went to Black's Beach for years and years and it is not very erotic. At least not during the daytime.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I love the term "unseemly parts"

You don't need to be naked to have unseemly parts!

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I wanna go too..on ly if I wear a towel

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

This is a parody. No way that any religion would publish....

Certainly throughout the Scriptures we note that God’s servants wore clothing, and oftentimes it is described.

Are you kidding me? Certainly? Oftentimes? (Besides the crap about God's servants wearing clothing.) Do you have to go to a special school to write shit like this?

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

What if a nudist colony were part of the field service territory? Would JWs be allowed to go 'door to door' there?

I mean... let's face it... they might have great knockers.

Keep in mind that since this was written in the 50's, there has probably been 'new light' since then.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Watchtower 5/15 1962 question from readers.

''Certainly that was a change from their original nakedness. But since these clothes were provided by the Creator himself, who would dare claim that Adam and Eve would have been better off without them?''

So in effect, brooklyn is saying that the creator was NOT perfect in creating and leaving them naked, and in fact he improved his design by killing animals to make clothing for them...

I dare to claim that adam and eve would have been better off without them!

oz

• designs
    designs

In the late 60s a special pioneer couple gave their experiences about witnessing in the south pacific. Apparently they had started some congregations or book study groups and the islanders who wore little to no clothing were given T-shirts to wear. The pioneers left to visit other islands and came back in a few months to find the women still wearing the T-shirts but with two strategic holes cut out in the front to prevent heat rash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit