2010 Drama - No Generation

by allelsefails 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

After sitting thru the Drama this year I was struck with a thought.

There was a scene where a "brother" said they knew the end would come, but did not think it would be in their lifetime. At no point did someone say "But Jesus said this generation would see the end" Why? Because "this generation" now means 2 generations that overlap - as explained to us in the last talk of the day. I have been a JW my whole life and never been more embarrassed by the nonsense.

I saw an earlier entry about the fleeing to Pella. Has anyone done the research on this? Jesus said to the mountains, but they went to a city in the valley instead - doesn't sound very faithful to me. I was to understand that the "Jewish" congregation moved from Jerusalem to Antioch after 70. Not Pella. I thought Jesus brother Judas took over leadership there, but I'd like to know if there is any research on where the Jerusalem church moved to after Jerusalem's destruction.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

It is a silly drama. I wondered about the historical mistakes in it. They are speaking about "The elders" and presented the historical times as was it today.

I would not be surprised when one of the guys in the drama would take an Ipad to read the pdf version of the scriptures. "The apostles send me an email today that we have to run to the mountains".

Gorb

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I suggest that rather than spend a lot of time looking for excuses for the stupidity yourself, you should ask your Dubbies your questions, then insist that they produce answers

• sir82
    sir82
    I'd like to know if there is any research on where the Jerusalem church moved to after Jerusalem's destruction.

Google is your friend:

http://www.preteristarchive.com/StudyArchive/p/pella-flight.html

Looks like the earliest written reference to Christians leaving Jersulem in 66 AD was written by Eusebius around the year 325 AD....250+ years after the fact.

Pretty suspicious, considering how presenting clear proof of a major fulfilled prophecy by Jesus would have done much to bolster the early church.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You make a good point. I didn't see the drama, nor care to see it. But if they try to look at the time period before the destruction of Jerusalem, they really would need to make the point that Jesus referred to a literal generation that lasted about/less than 40 years. It just doesn't go well with the nearly 100 years of "this generation" in modern times, so it cannot be used in the time setting drama.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit