Younger JW's Have Never Heard of Jonestown

by WalkTall 20 Replies latest jw friends

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

The other day I was talking to a JW in her 30's and mentioned Jonestown and she had no idea what I was talking about. She had never heard of it. With all their harping about the dangers of 'false' religion, you would think that Jonestown, Heaven's Gate, and the like would be right up their alley and would be brought up often as examples of why one should never leave the safety of the one true religion. Too close for comfort maybe?

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

My family was at our Assembly when we heard about the Heaven's Gate thing. We all sat around at lunch shaking our heads over what kind of idiots would join a cult like that.

It was the same year I was baptized. The irony. It burns.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I guess you can reference "drinking the kool-aid" then without fear of being called out on it!

• St George of England
    St George of England

This was mentioned in another topic a couple of days ago. Several of us in the UK commented that 99.99% of JWs here will have never heard of Jonestown, Kool-aid, etc. WACO is a distant memory.

George

• southern.finesse
    southern.finesse

I remember seeing it on as a Dateline special (i believe) some years back. Do you think a person currently studying would be open enough to watch it?

• carla
    carla

That's funny because my jw has just recently been using the term 'they drank the kool aid' ALL the time lately! geesh! yeah, worry about that log in your own eye pal!

• Titus
    Titus

I am one of those younger JWs...

What about Jonestown? Can somebody tell me shortly?

• brizzzy
  • Titus
    Titus

OH, thank you! Yes, I remember now! But I didn't know the name of the city. Thanks!

• Titus
    Titus

I have read the complete article now.

What was wrong with these people?

I remember I watched the documentary film about that when I was younger.

That's terrible!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit