The Greeks had a word for "channel of communication"

by JeffT 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm reading a book about the Battle of Salamis and I ran across a real gem. The ancient Greeks had a class of people who were devoted to communicating the thoughts and will of the Gods to the people. These people, and their instutions were considered the Gods' spokespeople. What they spoke was not their thoughts (in theory) but the Gods'. The Greek word literaly means "mouthpiece."

Sound familiar?

The Greek word in question is "oracle."

I wonder how a JW will react when I tell him "no thanks, I don't believe in oracles."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

See, for instance, the example of the Delphi pythoness in Acts 16:16. She gave oracles of Apollo on account of being possessed by the Delphi python.

• wobble
    wobble

So the Gibbering Buddie, sorry Governing Body, are possesed by a pythonesque spirit ?

I always thought their ideas were as wacky as Monty Python !

• Gayle
    Gayle

I think Freddie Franz was their "oracle" for so long. (Actually, he was just weird). That's why it seems the present day GB are clinging on to him. That seems to be why they have brought him up in their crazy explanation of the "overlapping" generation(s) fiasco. Freddie's life is a pivotal point for them. I doubt any of the eight GB members recognize any one of themselves as any "oracle." Although, it true that they teach the GB as a group are this 'channel of communication.' Anyone know when it has last been 'printed' the phrase "channel of communication" in the WT or any other literature?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

What is amazing is how they boast about channeling invisible spirit beings out of one side of their mouth while denouncing spiritism out of the other.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Hi JeffT

Sorry to 'bust yer bubble' on a technicality, but "oracle" is an English word, not Greek. It is derived from the Latin oraculum. The proper Greek words are χρησμ?σ and/or μαντε?ου (pronounced Chrees-MOS Man-TEE-yoo).

CyrusThePersian

EDIT: My silly Greek fonts apparently aren't working. The question mark in the first word is an omicron (o). The second question mark is an iota, which looks like the letter i without the dot on top.

• designs
    designs

Kurt-

You just have to choose your angels carefully

• peacedog
    peacedog

I find it funny how, when faced with their false prophecies, the WT$ says "we never said we're a prophet!"..... all the while claiming to be God's "channel of communication" out of the other side of their mouth...

For all intents and purposes, there is no difference between the two. Prophet = God's channel of communication.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Cyrus, not speaking Greek I went with the common English translation of the Greek word.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

The Arc of the Covenant, that piece of electrical equipment resembling HAARP, is referred to an an "Oracle" in the KJV bible. It is right there in scripture. Other prototypes of the arc were already in existence and the one used as an oracle, was really not a new invention. You can find more information on this by searching the terms "The Pharoa's Lighthouse" and "ancient technologies".

I have also read that the Oracle of Delphi had to do with some "prophetess" breathing natural gas from fissures in the ground in a cave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit