An observation on being free of WT busywork...

by undercover 16 Replies latest jw friends

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

well, heck, starting sat i'll be free :)

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

We have had a very busy summer here. But not much to show for it. Every day but 3 we've been playing (I have a 4 and 6 year old and I stay at home with them) visiting, or something of that nature. I can't say we have anything physical to show for all of that, except for a tan. However, we've been having a great time, seeing my husband's family, finding new relationships with old friends, finding new friendships, and generally just having fun. Unlike being a JW, we've found joy in pretty much every day, and summer has just flown by. My kids have told me multiple times how much fun they've been having this summer. Unlike being a JW, when every day would just morph into another, boring as usual and we never did anything with anyone else that didn't revolve around meetings or FS. We may not have anything to show for it, but we're happy, socialized and don't regret it at all. Busy is much more fun than busy-work.

• cult classic
    cult classic

That is exactly what it is UC. Busywork. The WT shuffle. When I think back on all the years of "theocratic activity", it makes me want to puke. There was the actual physicality of it all, but also the endless mental and emotional effort needed to stay afloat as a witness. It was exhausting with no result and no end in sight.

• onemore
    onemore

Since the day I stop serving as an elder, I’ve been feeling more and more relax. I even enjoy my secular work, and I’m planning on going back to school for my master.

My wife is enjoying our time together, just last night she told me that I’m been more fun to be around, that something has changed in me. I said…well honey, stepping aside my eldership freed me from the pressures, the tensions, the aggravations and the responsibilities that were draining my energy. And…missing those few meetings have allowed us to do more interesting things with our time.

So, yes UC…being free of the WT busywork is very rewarding. Life is Good!

Onemore

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

To boot, it is all wasted time. Field circus takes hours and hours to get a few people to read the littera-trash. Yet, every time someone takes a short cut that would expose the same message to millions of people in 10 seconds, the Washtowel Slaveholdery has Marfans syndrome about some stupid copyright issue and threatens to sue if they don't shut it down--doing things 100 billion times more efficiently is not cool with the witlesses. And, I never did see the idea of wasting 6 hours preparing a Number 2 Talk--the scumbag that dragged me into the cancer insisted that it took that long to get the talks just right. Instead, I would throw something together in 10 minutes and give the first version of the talk (unlike Christmas light setups, this always produced the same result on the first try as on the 50th).

I also found quite a few other shortcuts that they didn't like. As the answers were blatantly visible without underlining, I never wasted the time underlining anything in my copies of the washtowel. And, as things were virtually identical with a few minor "new light" changes (sometimes reverting back to an older version), I would just look for those minor changes instead of wasting the time studying the whole thing as if it was all brand new information. I also kept my ties permanently prepared so I wouldn't waste the time tying them anew each time. And I got two bags, so I wouldn't be wasting more time changing items from one bag to the other or taking littera-trash in and out of one bag for different things.

At least now I don't waste any time on those boasting sessions. For me, it would be a waste of 3 hours on a Sunday morning or afternoon, and another waste during a Tuesday or Thursday evening (plus more wasted time for the book study). Now, I can just turn on my computer and start posting here--and millions will see it, not just 30 or 40 people, for the work. And, instead of wasting a whole weekend going to the Grand Boasting Session, I come here and spend 15 minutes reading what others observed about it (usually making better points than what I would have heard by actually going).

• bobld
    bobld

Undercover,you hit the nail right on the head.Active JW always saying I can't wait for the new system the end must be near.Only to see that they wasted their life and the end is not here.

It reminds me of a person who sits on his ass doing nothing hoping for things to inprove.He only dreams of big houses,going places,going to restaurants,etc,etc,only to grow old and not enjoy life.SO sad.

B

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

To me the fact that the WT wants to deliver their message in a tightly controlled way is a tip off that the message is weak, and vulnerable to attack by logic. In an open forum like the net, like on this forum, the message will be debated and dismissed.

Most converts are friends of friends, or family members; witnessing one to one includes the necessary warning that 'Satan' and opposers want to keep people from getting the 'truth', and seems like prophecy fulfilled when friends of the interested one try to warn them off the witnesses.

It is why the WT now has only 1 Awake per month, and why the public WT is different than the 'publisher' (Kool Aid) version.

The door to door model is a dinosaur; it was never the primary model for spreading christianity in the first place, and it actually hinders the growth of the WT in the modern day.

BUT it is part of their brand; leadership can't find a way to abandon it.

And the dogma is just too crazy to really push it out by internet methods.

I think they are a little stuck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit