Hierosolyma Perdita Est or Hierosolyma Est Perdita?

by snowbird 35 Replies latest social entertainment

• snowbird
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think you have images blocked at work?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I think you have images blocked at work?

Yes, ma'am.

Syl

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Anyway, you might want to consider that this is the order that would have been used in rallying cry: Perdita est Hierosolyma. There the losing of the city is what is emphasized, as it should be.

But I doubt the Crusaders would have been using Latin at all, rather than some early Romance language, especially Old French, in which case the sentence would have been more like Ierusalem est perdu (in Proto-Romance, perdu < *perduta/perdutus).

• JWoods
    JWoods

Thanks, Leoaia, for looking that up. Middle sentence verb sounds right to me too, but I took Latin in 1962 to 1966 and can barely remember anything now.

Sylvia's original posts seemed to indicate that the initials for the acronym were the other way, but could that be because the Germans seem to like putting verbs at the end of the sentence?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah it's a long time since I took Latin too (1990-1992), but that's at least what one Latin grammar devoted to word order says. Plus the syntax involving CP discourse positions is reminiscent of other languages, like Russian which also has flexible word order for emphasis.

The verb is clause final in German only when there is another verb in second position and/or there is a subordinate clause, which is not the case here.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Interesting, Leolaia. I don't know German (despite my ancestry) but remembered in a Sherlock Holmes story he identified the German writer of an English language note because the author put the verb at the end of the sentence -

"Only a German is so unkind to his verbs"

This thread reminds me of how much Sylvia will be missed around here.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Folks, I need help. Is this phrase good Latin?

Ad lucrum per scientia

"Towards wealth/profit/gain through science."

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

I can't find it in any compendium of Latin phrases, but it looks ok to me.

Is it your own composition?

If so, WOW!

Syl

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I made it up, yes. I need a signature line/sign off. I just don't know if it is grammatically correct.

I based it on:

Ad Astra Per Aspera

"To the stars through hard work"

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit