JW Saturation

by highdose 14 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Saturation is a perfect word - it describes the ways in which, in any religious group, there is a guaranteed hard core of committed believers who are passionately involved.

I don't think, though, it necessarily speaks to any cultish elements of the JWs. Any group can have over-the-top members. Ever been around hard-out zealous fundamentalist Christians loudly selling their message on street corners? Whoa - let me out of their sight! Yet they too claim to "just" be preaching the gospel. Yeah right!

BTW, what interests me much more than the fairly predictable small core of absolutely committed believers is the ever growing pool of nominal believers - this is perhaps one of the most interesting, if not striking, developments among JWs in recent years. The hangers-on grow ever greater in number while that small core of zealous devotees gets smaller and smaller...

• designs
    designs

Every religion has their own set of rituals and repetitive acts. I grew up down the street from a Catholic School/Church/Nunery and would watch the Nuns walking in circles reciting their Rosary each day. Then I heard brothers repeat the name Jehovah a dozen or more times in their prayers.

I started to connect the Dots.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

my book of bible stories is banned from my home.

it is worse than "r" rating.

if my wife and I watch "r" or worse movies, we shelter the kids from them!

brainwashed fools, can't see the precipice in from of them

• freydo
    freydo

We used to play "kingdom hall". At family gatherings we'd sit on our grandmother's long wide staircase as if we were at the meetings. The boys would get to be elders and give talks. They would call on us girls to give comments.

Did the socieity ever suggested that idea? How bout having the parents play CO and wife?

Talk about not having a childhood.

FROM THE FAITHFUL AND DISCREET OVERSEER:

"Parents, in raising your children, one family we heard of, when their children weren't getting ready for meetings, going to meetings being at meetings, studying for meetings, talking about meetings, etc, invented the game of "Pretend You're at a Meeting." We think this is a fine way to instill how important meetings are." Don't miss the next meeting."

• John Locke
    John Locke

Another example of extra zealous person:

When a sister is pregnant another sister asks her: "Do you already sing him (not yet born child) Kingdom songs?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit