Medical People: Lipitor vs Zocor (Simvastatin)? Which do you recommend??

by AudeSapere 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I know we have a good representation of medically-trained people on this board so I want to put out this question:

When treating a person with high cholesterol, which do you prefer: Lipitor or Zocor (Simvastatin)? Why one over the other?? If a person begins treatment with Lipitor, is it necessary to use it for the rest of that person's life? How about with Zocor?

In speaking with 3 different doctors, they seem to waffle between the two and we are not really getting good info on benefit/risk differences between them.

Diet and exercise may not be enough. Does one have potential to hurt more than it helps versus the other??

Appreciate in advance your thoughts, insights and feelings on this important matter.

-Aude.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I'm not a doctor or pharmacist, but I work with quite a few in my profession. From what I've been trained on in regards to these "Statins", they're all clinically similar, if not the same. They all have the same potential for side affects, mostly leg cramping. From examining the numbers at my company, Simvastatin (Zocor) is the most popular, and I guess because it was the first blockbuster Statin to go generic. Mevacor (Lovastatin) went generic quite a few years ago, but its not that popular. Zocor, Lipitor, Pravachol, and Crestor are all supposed to be pretty much equal in therapy for hyperlipidemia. I'd say, if you're trying to save some money, it'd be cheaper to go with Simvastatin or Pravastatin(Pravachol). I believe Lipitor is going generic either next year, or the year after.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

bttt

Miseryloveselders - Thanks for the info. 'Clinically similar' is what I've been told but chemically different. Once seems to act quicker but requires longer use (??). I know Zocor and it's generics are MUCH cheaper here in the US. I Lipitor considered better, though??

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Also, once starting on Lipitor, is it a lifelong commitment??

Seems that I've heard from non-medical people that Zocor can be temporary but Lipitor is usually used for the rest of your life. Is that true??

-Aude.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

bttt

Noone else has comment(s)?

• sir82
    sir82

First option would be to try to avoid side effects of either, I would think.

Herbal treatments can be quite effective.

Policosanol, red yeast rice, psyllium husk fiber, omega 3 fish oil....

It worked for me!

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Please check your PMs.

• What-A-Coincidence
  • recovering
    recovering

Do not listen to the non medical advice regarding statins. Once a course of treatment with statins is started it is usually a lifetime course of treatment. (the only exception is if you exibit serious side effects ie poor liver function etc) By the way there are many more serious side effects than muscle cramping, these include liver and kidney damage.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I won't take a statin because I have heard too many negatives and I don't want to take one the rest of my life. If you drink alcohol you are at a higher risk of liver problems with statins. Diet (no butter, ration your intake of bacon, sausage and fatty meats. Keep up a moderate alcohol intake, esp. red wine.) Exercise? good for you but for cholesterol? meh. I take over the counter Cholest-off and it brings my number down. And speaking of numbers, too many Doctors grab the RX pad if one blood test shows a slightly higher number that the "ideal" range. Obviously if you have a fam history of dropping dead from heart attacks and your Cholest. is WAY higher than normal, than be your own judge.

My Dr has been pushing me to get on a statin for some time. My number is only moderately high. I read everything I can and so far I am not convinced it is not just a trade off for some side effect.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Please do not take this as medical advise.

My Dad was put on Lipitor and later went to a pretty renown Doctor in the area and was taken off it on the spot. Dr. told him it is one of the most dangerous prescription drugs on the market.

Then my mom was in the hospital and I overheard a nurse talking about Lipitor so I asked her. She said it's becoming known as a bad drug.

Then I went myself to a wellness/hormone replacement doctor a while later and asked him and he concurred.

All I've ever personally heard from health professionals is that Lipitor may do more harm than good.

Just make sure to do your due diligence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit