It's amazing how many things in the publications and even talks are opinion but made to appear as fact.

by Crisis of Conscience 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

At the convention recently, I can remember different reasons being given as to why the end is near. Pick whatever one suits you best but basically it goes, 'because this and that has happened, the end is ever closer.'

Well here are some of my ridiculous opinions stated as fact, just to prove a point.

If you put pepperoni on pizza, there is no way a person will reject it. If you run across a very busy highway as fast as you can, you will never get hit by a car. Do you believe any of them, even if I offered proof? Maybe some will, maybe some won't (despite being ridiculous).

No matter what evidence I bring forward to try to support these opinions, they can't be proved 100% true and therefore always remain opinions.

Likewise, all these predictions that were/are made by the WTBTS and have been put into print have in reality proven to be opinions. And the fact that they have had to be changed so many times says a lot too. If they would have been fulfilled when stated without a change, they would be fact!!

No wonder my faith is so shaky nowadays! The Watchtower foundation is crumbling around me quickly.

CoC

• wasblind
    wasblind

Excellent point you make.

Example: On page71 In the "Reasoning from the Scriptures" book states : " Similarly, any food to which whole blood or even some blood fraction has been added should not be eaten. "

That is most definitly an opinion that was changed later on. And yes that says a lot. Because in the Aug 2006 Awake, on page 11- 12 it states: "As for the various fractions derived from those components- and products that contain such fractions the bible does not comment on these therefore, each witness makes his own personal decision on such matters."

So if the Bible did not comment on these it was definitly an opinion which caused a lot of deaths.

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

Hmmm. The bible does not comment on masterbation either....

• St George of England
    St George of England

It's quite easy to change an idea into a fact -

You put the word EVIDENTLY in front of it!

George

• ziddina
    ziddina

"If you put pepperoni on pizza, there is no way a person will reject it. ..."

Bleah... Pepperoni gives me heartburn... Unfortunately...

"Likewise, all these predictions that were/are made by the WTBTS and have been put into print have in reality proven to be opinions. And the fact that they have had to be changed so many times says a lot too. If they would have been fulfilled when stated without a change, they would be fact!! ..."

GOOD points!!! I'm going to use that on the next JW who comes within earshot of me!!!

"It's quite easy to change an idea into a fact -

You put the word EVIDENTLY in front of it!! ..."

LOL, St George!!

• moshe
    moshe

The WT loves to add qualifier words to their opinions, turning them into facts for the JWs- Evidently is a popular one ( used without any evidence to support the topic), "apparently", works for them, too. Watch for, honest hearted Christians will agree, lovers of the truth will agree, lovers of Jehovah will agree, as all these demonize any JW who should question the WT opinions. The biggest qualifier is using the Faithful and Discreet slave class to put Jehoobah's stamp of approval on any wacky WT teaching they want push on JWs. The WT talks about the F&DS class all the time, but they have never (as far as I can determine) told us the name of any person who is a F&DS membe, or had one personally claim that title so a JW could verify that all the WT teachings do come from Jehoobah. The WT writing dept has implied the GB are part of the F&DS, but just try and find a GB member who will admit to it, in first person. It's kind of like trying to find this personal quote from Obama, " Yes, I am a natural born US citizen"

In conclusion, JWs also don't realize how many WT doctrine/teachings lack a unanimous vote of the GB. Would they have a different idea about blood transfusions, if they knew that some of the GB wanted to turn blood transfusions into a matter of personal conscience? Maybe, just maybe they would.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Example: On page71 In the "Reasoning from the Scriptures" book states : " Similarly, any food to which whole blood or even some blood fraction has been added should not be eaten. "

Well, that cuts out breast feeding infants then. Uh oh... I used the word 'breast'. (Ducks and runs!)

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

It is very much about perspective....

For many years most of us believed we lived in a special time in the worlds history....

The argument goes like this:

Things are really bad...worse than they have ever been. Just look at how bad they are. People getting killed. Wars. Diseases like Aids. Crime.

(No perspective here, things are actually much better overall for more people than they have ever been)

Then take some scriptures like 1 Tim 3:1-5 and apply. Re-apply. Re-apply x 100 each and every year. Reinforce this idea by requiring suggesting that the only people you associate with believe the exact same thing about how special this time of the end is. How you have been collectively chosen to preach the end of the world together and save souls. How your own neck is on the line daily based on how you act, look, and even think. Tactics like this make them fearful to even consider another perspective, as it means death.

Most of us have family still in...This is how they think on a day to day basis. They really are under mind control and the OP's point about opinions being facts holds true each and every time our loved ones attend a meeting, go in service, read a WT, or say a prayer to Jehovah.

The continuous reinforcement and application of these opinions as fact is why this outfit is successful. Without any real perspective, its almost impossible for active JWs to see it any other way.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

LostGenerationThe continuous reinforcement and application of these opinions as fact is why this outfit is successful. Without any real perspective, its almost impossible for active JWs to see it any other way.

Excellent point! I find it so annoying at the moment (but try not to show it) when I'm talking with my wife. She feels I have valid questions but continues to defend these opinions! She's not connecting the dots. ARGH!!

But I'm trying to be patient.

CoC

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    Watch for, honest hearted Christians will agree, lovers of the truth will agree, lovers of Jehovah will agree, as all these demonize any JW who should question the WT opinions.

It would be reasonable to conclude then.....

Thinking persons will agree that......

In view of the foregoing, one would naturally conclude.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit