Tear down the whole of South Africa

by Louise 30 Replies latest jw friends

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

"At what point should people stop blaming people who died well over a century ago, and start looking at what is going on around them now?"

I don't think they are blaming Cecil Rhodes for what is happening on the ground today. I would think that a statue to honor one of the most deplorable men in history whose policies ushered in a legal system that was one of the most oppressive and bigoted in history should never have been erected in the first place. It should be brought down out of respect for the people who had their nation, their generational land, their rights as human beings, as well as their culture taken from them.

I do not think we would even have a discussion as to wether or not a statue of: Hitler, Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot, Osama Bin Laden etc should be removed out of respect for the people that they tortured. It is also hard for people to move on so to speak when it seems that the government and society as a whole feel that somehow this evil men are in someway worthy of honor. I will end my thoughts here because I know these kinds of topics tend to get out of hand.

• Louise
    Louise

There are better ways to handle these issues. Instead now it becomes a tit for tat game.

For reading:

http://www.citypress.co.za/columnists/statue-anger-reveals-gross-double-standards/

And now Madiba's statue: https://banananewsline.wordpress.com/2015/04/03/the-statue-of-nelson-mandela-must-go/

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    The second link to banananewsline is satire. Just to be clear...
  • Louise
  • Slave4_38y
  • konceptual99
  • Louise
    Louise

So I have seen the most horrific pictures coming out today. 2 men - heads cleaved nearly in half.

Bodies burnt and burning.

When BBC reporters report on the goings on here, it does come across a little sugar coated at times...like it's not SO bad, it's just a little thing.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    My wife's uncle lived in South Africa. He made out very well there after he left Italy after WW2. He sent us case of wine through the South African embassy in Ottawa. It was some of the best wine I have ever tasted. Its so sad to see such a beautiful country torn apart by internal strife.
  • Slave4_38y
    Slave4_38y

It's truly a sad state of affairs Louise. What I don't understand is that our borders were virtually flung open past '94. Now that the immigrants have successful businesses going and are in some cases are more sought after for employment, now they are "vermin" and must be eradicated. Strange that Nigerian drug-lords and human traffickers are welcome . . . or maybe they're untouchable. But needless to say the human suffering is really heart-breaking.

• Slave4_38y
    Slave4_38y

This is getting out of hand.

http://www.southafricalatestnews.co.za/news/1379-boko-haram-to-kill-all-south-africans-in-nigeria-if-xenophobia-doesn-t-end-within-24-hours.html

Boko Haram is threatening to kill South Africans in Nigeria and surrounds if the xenophobic attacks and killings don't stop. It's like the pot calling the kettle black, but at least they're taking notice and acting on it. You would hope the South African government would do the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit