assembly conversation overheard.

by wizardca 18 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

They claim to "need" such programs to keep going--I wonder if that's because they view them as a substitute for Christmas and birthdays.

This is so true. A sister I see periodically on my way to work says things such as this. She asks me, "are you ready for the convention?", as if its some major event. She then goes, "we really need this now. We just get hammered so much by this world. We need something to rejuvenate us. I'm just so tired of all of this, and I just get so burned out. But the conventions come right on time! Just when we needed it!" The whole time she's saying this, she's clenching her fists, and her facial expressions remind me of someone who is constipated. Its really quite bizarre. At times I woneder if she's putting on an act for me to prove her spirituality to me. Or maybe she really does need the convention that bad. I don't know. If only she knew how bad I wish I wasn't attending the convention. I get constipated thinking about it.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I was at a 5* hotel next to a DC - the place was overrun with JW's - some with name badges some without.

Is this just a way of easing the blow of 3 days of hell by having a slice of luxury? The pool was empty during the day

One bunch of witlesses were in a polite queue waiting for the lift when they decided to opt for the stairs. There was a sign and despite there being 3 of them they simply couldn't find the stairs. There were 8 doors to choose from - 7 of them were sequentially numbered hotel room doors and the 8th was clear glass with stairs beyond. I was right there and out of sheer amusement I kept quiet. Defeated they rejoined the queue for the lift mumbling about what they'd do in an emergency

MMXIV

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

She asks me, "are you ready for the convention?", as if its some major event. She then goes, "we really need this now.

There is was always an anticipation to DC , people buying new cloths to show off, men buying new suits , woman buying new

dresses and so on. Its a abit of a fashion show for 3 days.

The JWS are so mentally engaged with the END, such as the recent earthquakes etc. and all the other common signs of the times,

that supporting one and another to make it through Armageddon is a gesture of concern for their fellow brothers and sisters.

In reality the END is a marketing ploy to keep support on going to the WTS. financial needs and to sustain the power levels

of the executive leaders.

Its god's only channel of communication here on earth really........really

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Not to be a jerk, but....

"we really need this now. We just get hammered so much by this world. "

Right, and we don't get hammered - we just have paychecks handed to us and someone else raises our kids, while we are on vacation...

I'm just so tired of all of this, and I just get so burned out.

No sh!t, if I had to put 100+hours a month doorbanging and go to 5 meetings EVERY DAMN week, I'd be burned out too.

Man, some people....

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I got to where I avoided going to the DC's. They were exhausting. I only cared about the new releases, dramas and "new light." Oh yeah and eating out and the motel room and pool and seeing my friends.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Yes eating out is a major joy for jw at dc. My wife told me that many speakers at the dc hightlighted the subject of food at the dc bringing joy and how often the conversations between jw are about where did you go for dinner last night and what about tonight.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

There is was always an anticipation to DC , people buying new cloths to show off, men buying new suits , woman buying new

dresses and so on. Its a abit of a fashion show for 3 days.

Lol that is so true! Now I remember something funny. I don't know if this was the case in everywhere but I remember that it was look downed on going to the meetings and convention with a suit but without the jacket. Then the one's who did were the "cool" kids. lol Also I got pulled aside for wearing a blue jacket with Khaki pants. lol I got tired of it that sometimes I would just not wear or a jacket or a tie. haha The looks that I got, it was hilarious.

• undercover
    undercover
    My wife told me that many speakers at the dc hightlighted the subject of food at the dc bringing joy and how often the conversations between jw are about where did you go for dinner last night and what about tonight.

I remember being chastised from the stage about putting too much emphasis on our after session activities. Spending too much time and effort on where to eat, what to eat and with who and what ever else we were doing and then talking about what a great time we had was too frivolous.

Our primary purpose for the weekend was to be instructed by Jehovah through the program and talks. (read: further indoctrinated by the cult)

Association with our "brothers" was fine, but it had to be kept in it's place, namely between sessions while you ate that crappy hoagie or your homemade PB&J at your seat. Once you choked that down (and washed it down with some Shasta Lemon-Lime )then you could wander around and chit-chat before they announced that you had to sit back down. Evenings were to be low-key and we were supposed to turn in early so as to be rested for the next day's sessions.

Oh yea... if you did go out; make sure you wear that damn name badge advertising that you were a stupid cult member...

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

" woman buying new

dresses and so on."

That was always a nuisance. Do you know how hard it was to find "modest" dresses that were comfortable, cute, and affordable? It was especially hard when we went to the silverdome and it was 100 degrees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit