Reviews and Recommendations on reading materials (e.g. Combatting Cult Mind Control)

by feenx 8 Replies latest jw friends

• feenx
    feenx

Greetings!

I ordered Combatting Cult Mind Control, though have not read it yet. I am hoping it will be helpful.

Has anyone else read it? Did it help you? How so?

Does anyone have other books to recommend? I'm struggling with always having to remind myself that I'm not doing anything "wrong" in my life...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

In the JWR thread below, 'Critical Thinker' has done an excellent job of reviewing Hassan's points, in conjunction with how they apply to the WT experience.

http://www.jehovahswitnessrecovery.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=737

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Have you read Don Cameron's book, "Captives of a Concept"?

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

Yes I read it. It helps you identify a cult, and if you were in a cult, it shows you how they use mind control through their speech and publications. It also shows you how they try to make you feel like you are doing wrong, feel insecure, guilt, ect., when in actuality you are doing the best thing for yourself by getting away from the cult. It is a very enlightening book and goes step by step to free your mind, you will enjoy it and learn much.

You must read Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz. These 2 are a must read for any ex jw. Any witness will tell you that CoC was written because Ray was angry and bitter because he was DF'ed. That could not be further from the truth, and how would they know anyway, did they read it? The book is his life experience as a pioneer, missionary, bethelite, governing body member, and head of the writing dept. If he was bitter when he wrote it, he did not disclose this his writings. It is very well read and informative.

After reading those 2, Hassan has a 2nd book called Empowering People to Think for Themselves, or something like that. I gave my copy to my sister so I don't can't remember the exact title. Ray Franz also has a 2nd book called In Search of Christian Freedom. I purchased all of them from Amazon.com, I got Hassan's books used, but had to get franz's books new. It is no suprise that after an ex reads Franz's books, they seldom give them up. I lend mine out to people in my meet up group, but would never give any of the 4 away.

Keep reading and make sure to use this forum for any questions, random thoughts, or just for some encouragement from kind, understanding people. You will find a wealth of information and experiences here.

• gutted
    gutted

Hi feenx, I have read Combatting Cult Mind Control. It is a very good book, and I think essential for any ex-JW or one considering leaving. It will help you understand the mind control aspects of the religion and how it has affected you.

If you haven't read it already, doctrinally I would say the standard is Crisis of Conscience which will reveal to you just how the witnesses are actually run by the Governing Body and the doctrinal flip-flops and misinterprations.

The latest book I'm reading is In Search of Christian Freedom. So far it has helped me get a better understading of how the 1st century congregation actually was vs. JWs today.

As far as websites I have read all of the information on jwfacts.com, excellent site. I also like sixscreensofthewatchtower.com, that was the first site that opened my eyes.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Not to use religious terms, but Combatting Cult Mind Control was my saviour. I was really able to make sense of what happened to me. It turned out that I had been sucked in by a slick dangerous mind-control cult.

While Crisis of Conscience was important to understand that WTS doesn't have "the truth," CCMC was the first book I read as I broke free of the bonds of WTS and it was not about doctrine and how they mis-apply some scriptures. It was about how a group could come to control a person's behaviour, information, thoughts, and emotions. The author never mentions JW's, but the average JW can easily see how the information applies.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

What OTWO said.

• leavingwt
  • flipper
    flipper

FEENX- I agree with others here that " Combatting Cult Mind control" by Steve Hassan & " Crisis of Conscience " by Ray Franz are a MUST read for ANYONE exiting Jehovah's Witnesses.

Hassan's book " Combatting " helped me to understand WHAT had happened to me as a Jehovah's Witness and HOW I was able to be duped under cult mind control. It assisted me in forgiving MYSELF for having guilt & feelings of fear as a witness. Also- I HIGHLY recommend Hassan's 2nd book - " Releasing the Bonds - Empowering People to Think for Themselves" . This book may have helped me even more than his FIRST book as it had several experiences dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses having mind control- and how to approach and deal with it in the witnesses. Also it helps with practical ideas of how to assist ANYONE trapped by cult mind control to get out. So it's VERY helpful in using to talk with JW family members.

Also- I'm over halfway done with Ray Franz 2nd book " In Search of Christian Freedom " . He picks up where he left off in his 1st book " Crisis " and discusses FURTHER infractions by the WT society regarding blood transfusions, disfellowshipping practices, legal issues, etc. Very well written ( kind of long 725 pgs. about ) - however I'm finding out more things about the governing body I never knew even from reading Ray's FIRST book.

But all these books help us to think free again and use our own authentic , born with minds- not the pre-programmed minds we were given as Jehovah's Witnesses. Hope this helps. Happy reading ! And cheers for freedom ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit