The Amish

by James_Slash 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

I watched an interesting programme last night on the Amish religion. I remember watching the film "Witness" many years ago with Harrison Ford so I already had an insight into what sort of people they were.

They seem a peaceful, family/community orientated group who stick to the teachings in the Bible like glue. When Jesus spoke about 'being separate from the world' surely no-one could have followed this more than the Amish. They have never 'moved with the times' and so their simple lifestyle fits the Bible to a tee.

They only mix within their own community, marry within their own community, work within their own community. They do not possess phones, internet, television, radio and everything they do is for the glory of God.

What are everyones thoughts on these people? Are they moral, upstanding members of society who believe in true Christian values to the letter, or are they brainwashed mentalists who are trapped inside a community of power hungry religious leaders who hold more of a grip over them than the JWs?

Thoughts?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    who stick to the teachings in the Bible like glue

Only as much as the WT does. Have a look at what their apostates have to say about that.

See if you can find a video called Trouble in Amish Paradise. It's a very interesting watch for ex JWs.

Chris

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

Cheers Chris. Will have a look for that.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Amish 'shun' their own family who leave the religion - just like the JWs.

But you are correct on one point. They seem to have less to do with the 'world' than the JWs. They are basically another cult.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Try Googling Amish puppy mills too

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

They are, much like any other insular group, contolled heavily. I have great general respect for the Amish families I have known over time, and those I have worked with here.

They are good people, but they make it difficult sometimes for those who exit the faith, though from those whom I have known of who did so, it is not nearly as cruel in the main as Jehovah's Witnesses. Of course part of that is that those who leave generally join the 'english' on the outside, so those that remain have little opportunity to just run into past associates who have left.

It is not a paradise in many ways I assume. But the lifestyle has always been appealing to me, if one could find a similar community without the god-belief as center.

Jeff

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I'm not sure which scriptures ban having a telephone and electricity in the house, but the Amish are welcome to post it here for us.

Cheers

Chris

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They are a really nice family and I would love to have them for neighbours, but I won't be signing up.

http://www.troubleinamishparadise.com/home.html

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I saw some of the programme. To some it might seem an idyllic way of life for a summer holiday but I just saw control, repression and a religion very hard to exit. Saying that I've a great deal of respect for them - if the whole world was Amish - it'd be a far greener world.

MMXIV

• Scully
    Scully

There was a WT or Awake article a while back about someone who left the Amish or Mennonites to become JWs. It was surreal how they described shunning as practiced by the Amish and Mennonites as cruel and unloving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit