The Baby and the Bath Water

by NeonMadman 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Joseph Joachim
    Joseph Joachim

Mommy Dark, you said:

It's much harder to find an ethical baseline, a moral imperative, without buying one of the shrink-wrapped, tidy, but often hate-filled salvation packages offered by Churchianity.

Actually, we all have a natural inclination to discern the good from the bad, even if we're atheists. This is because the fundamental ethical principles are products of biological evolution, not culture. Michael Ruse makes this point in his book "Taking Darwin seriously: a naturalistic approach to philosophy", which is highly recommendable for anyone interested on the scientific foundations of ethical behavior.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm getting in a little late, but what I think I'm seeing here are some people talking past each other.

I think that what Neon was trying to do was ask all of us how we got to where we are right now spiritually. He seems also to be saying that he is concerned about himself having a kneejerk reaction to WT doctrine in that he might reject it out of hand solely because it is a WT doctrine. That is a question all of us should ask ourselves.

FYI I am a Christian, plain and simple. I became a Christian before I hooked up with the dubs. I THOUGHT that what they were telling me was the real stuff. When I found out it wasnt' I left. Just wish it hadn't taken 16 years to figure that out.

• larc
    larc

Jeff,

He goes much farther than that. He holds certain stereotypes about atheists and agnostics that do not hold up under examination.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    He holds certain stereotypes about atheists and agnostics that do not hold up under examination.

None of the rest of us do this? I thought Neon was quite polite in his post expressing his viewpoints and showing he wanted feedback about different people's experiences and what led them there. So maybe he does have a stereotype that's incorrect. Who doesn't? Why be so quick to judge when a person is merely misinformed? Why not help educate instead of pass judgement?

Andi

• larc
    larc

Andi,

Yes, he was polite. So was I. Now, does he hold a stereotype or doesn't he? If he does, how have I misjudged him. To say that all people all over the world, right down to the very last one of us have stereotypes, may be true, but that doesn't clarify anything, in my opinion.

• Joseph Joachim
    Joseph Joachim

larc, you have to keep in mind the asymmetry of the situation. An atheist/agnostic can understand a believer because he's been there, but a believer tipically can't put himself in the place of an atheist/agnostic. Seen in that light, I think NeonMadman post was OK.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Larc,

I know you were polite. I wasn't saying you weren't. You will always be a gentleman in my book. (Actually I have a secret crush on you! )

I'm not saying Neon didn't have a stereotype. I have stereotypes in my head as well. We ALL do. My point is instead of berating him for having them, why not gently show him that his experience with agnostics & athiests is not necessarily the norm or even correct?

Many of the atheists and agnostics on this board have proven my previous stereotype wrong. I always pictured them as devil-worshipping heathens that celebrate in drunken debauchery and orgies. (Oh wait...that's apostates! ) But I've come to deeply respect many of the atheists and agnostics on this board. Why? Because they did take time, money, and energy to come to their spiritual conclusions. I've discovered many atheists/agnostics live better lives than many Christians I know. For that I respect them and appreciate them and *gasp!* love them deeply. Their beliefs are still not my beliefs (as is my right), but it was only through gentle persuasion and example that helped me realize how wrong my viewpoint was.

I guess that is all I was saying. If Neon's viewpoints about you are incorrect, why not try to correct him with sharing personal experiences instead of berating him for being wrong? I just didn't find him arrogant or condescending (at least on purpose!).

Andi

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

again, to larc:

Why did other groups not respond? Because there are very few of them here, that's why.
    That's too bad. It does seem like those who are not atheists are feeling less and less welcome here.

You guessed that we are hyper-sensitive. You guessed wrong.
    Do any atheists take that course to commit immoral acts. Yes, a small minority. Any Christians who put on that cloak to steal and cheat others? Happens all the time.
    I see, so you think that MOST atheists are good people, and MOST Christians are creeps. And you say I think I'm coming from a position of moral superiority? I believe there are lots of good people who are atheists, and lots of good people who are Christians. I also believe there are lots of rotten creeps who are atheists, and lots of rotten creeps who are Christians. Hopefully, the majority on each side is made up of decent, sincere people.

You know some people who say they are atheists who are really are not. They are rejecting organized religion.
    And you know some people who say they are Christians who are really not. They are "playing church".

Perhaps I hang out with a more sophisicated group of atheists than you do, people who have thought this through.
    I think that's probably right on the mark. Especially the atheists who post on this board strike me as sincere individuals who have given a lot of thought to their positions. I honestly don't believe that the majority of those who say they are atheists in the world at large have thought things through to that extent, any more than I believe that the majority of those who say they are Christians are Bible scholars.

You say you don't judge. Funny how Mommie Dark talked about morality, and you accussed her of exercising "moral superiority" over you. Is this misreading on your part an example of projection?
    I did not accuse her of exercising "moral superiority" over me. But when she contended that "I know very few atheists who are vile unprincipled creeps. Most of us are highly ethical, honest, concerned citizens who realize that we have one shot at life, and we try our best to leave the planet a little better and saner than we found it," [emphasis mine] I replied that she "sound[ed] here a bit like the Witnesses touting their moral superiority to people of the world." My point was that I do not believe that one's religious affiliation, or lack thereof, makes one inherently morally superior to anyone else, but that it sounded to me like she thought that being an atheist made you, in and of itself, a better person. Much as the Society claims about its members.

Besides the fact that Mommie Dark misinterpreted my use of the 'baby/bath water' analogy, in her post she referred to Christians as arrogant, superstitious, as having a 'need for a Skydaddy savior,' "Christerbabblers," (whatever that is), hate-filled, and frightened. But I'm the one who is judging?

In fact, my original post did not refer specifically to atheists or agnostics at all, but to ex-JW's who "have rejected religion entirely". It is only the hyper-defensive reactions of the atheist contingent here that have made this thread into something I never expected it to be. As I've said, I was asking about what made people think the way they did after leaving the Borg. You atheists somehow perceived this as an attack on your position, and started shooting. Could this be why, as you say, "there are very few of them [other groups besides atheists] here"?

Tom
    "The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

• rhett
    rhett

Following the "just because there's no proof for something doesn't mean that its not true" line of thinking, I am the mesiah reincarnated. Send me all of your money so I can start a grand ministry. I'll make the world a great place for all of us as soon as I recieve your money. What? You think I'm full of crap? Well then, what proof do you have that I'm not the mesiah and won't make the world a peachy keen place to live? You can't prove that I'm not can you? Surely that must mean that I am!
    I'll be waiting for your checks.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    So maybe he does have a stereotype that's incorrect. Who doesn't? Why be so quick to judge when a person is merely misinformed? Why not help educate instead of pass judgement?

Surely, if someone does "have a stereotype that's incorrect" then the best way to educate them is to show them how absurd and ill-informed their stereotype is? If someone is wrong, then somebody should pass judgement. Otherwise, how will they ever be corrected?

--
    "The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit