Saying 'grace' at meal times

by lifelong humanist 10 Replies latest jw friends

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Long before I DAd myself in 2003, I used to feel really bad offering up 'grace' prior to eating a meal with family and/or friends. It felt totally weird. I never quite understood the concept. Whenever my 4 sons were old enough, I'd ask one of them to do it. I guess that this was when I stopped believing that there was a god and praying to such an entity.

In our household, then and now, I usually do the cooking - my wife reckons that I'm better at it then she is. I'd work hard to earn the money, plan the menu, shop for the ingredients, buy an appropriate wine, cook the meal, set the table, light the candles and ask everyone present to sit down and then go through the 'prayer' bit to thank god for what we were about to eat/drink before tucking in. I absolutely hated this 'grace' as I reasoned that why would a god want me to thank this god for the food that we were about to enjoy? What of the countless millions that had nothing to eat? What of those barely surviving on an inadequate meagre diet? If they were praying to a god for even subsistance basic food items, why were their prayers not being answered? Why were they starving to death through no fault of their own?

Have you also felt this way?

• Gregor
    Gregor

"Jayhoover God, thank you for this meal for we know that this too shall pass. In the name of De De Kai we pray, Amen."

Now, gimmee some 'em taters.

• wobble
    wobble

Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub !

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

(Oops, I guess embedding videos doesn't work here.)

http://www.youtube.com/v/0ZcZVugtF6w

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub !

The school lunch room version:

God is great,

God is good,

please protect us

from this food!

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

OK, kidding aside and back to the topic. I find a humble prayer of gratitude to be appropriate: show appreciation for having our needs met, and remember the call to be charitable and help those who go wanting. The Lord's prayer (Matthew 6, Luke 11) is a fitting selection; saying it before a meal in mixed religious company should not offend any Christian.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Let's look at it this way:

Who prepared the food? Jehovah?

Who went out and bought the food, Jehovah?

Who earned the money that you used to pay for the food, Jehovah?

Who planted and harvested the food, Jehovah? And the food grew by obeying the laws of biochemistry, not because of Jehovah.

Who processed and distributed the food, Jehovah?

Since he is not involved in any one of those stages, why then should that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag get any of the thanks?

• Open mind
    Open mind

I remember a Bethelite who would always be asked to say the prayer when out for a visit.

He would invariably say:

"...and bless the hands that prepared it." (the meal)

Bless the hands? WTF?

That always sounded weird to me. Exactly what form would this "blessing" take? I guess it was sort of a sideways actual thank you to the person who did the meal preparation.

Back closer to the OP, even though I am agnostic, I still like to take a moment to think about how lucky I am to have my life and good food. I think about the infrastructure that supports most people in developed countries and how tenuous it is. I think about how much better I have it than royalty did a few centuries ago.

om

• The Finger
    The Finger

As I am a slave of Christ thanks for what we recieve i think is appropriate. Having said that I don't. I think he knows my heart.

• moshe
    moshe

I stopped many, years ago, when I realized nobody was listening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit