have you turned a jw into an EX-jw?

by malian 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• malian
    malian

Is the ANYONE, ANYONE, out there who has managed to turn a jw into an EX-jw? I know there are lots of people who wanna know what it is that you did that worked--any (and every) suggestion is helpful!!! I'll try anything at this point!!! thanks:)

• bea
    bea

hmm, never tried. thought about it...but being the baby of the family, i don't want to be the one who starts a huge war. anyways, i recall reading some stories here about people helping others out of the org, i'll try to find you some. good luck!

and welcome to the board !

tralala! here's a good thread to start in, you might want to email those who say they've helped someone get out for more details and ideas about how they went about doing it. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=18985&site=3#235079

• larc
    larc

Amazing, who posts here, got his whole family out. His story can be found at the FreeMinds site, which is shown at the bottom of this page. Also, the site has section on how to talk to JWs.

• JanH
    JanH

malian,

I will answer like this: Information I provided has been helpful for many who have left the JWs, and quite a few who have for family reasons still chosen to stay (officially). In some cases, I guess I was the direct cause that people left at that time, but I think those who leave can thank their own willingness to investigate and act on facts.

It is a source of some pride that I never converted anyone into JWdom. I did contribute to one couple and their children joining, though, by showing normal kindness to them in a difficult situation (when the elders failed to do so). However, shortly after I left, they did too.

- Jan
    --

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

What first started it for me was the blood issue. I thought that it was insane that someone rather let their child die than give them a blood transfusion. I asked myself, "If I have a child would I let them die like that?" The answer was, of course, "No." So I knew that I could never be a Jehovah's Witness.

After I got out I came on the internet and found several apostate sites and found out about other things: that she society used to be against vaccinations, 1914, 1975, the UN scandal, the private lives of several WT presidents, the double stardards in other countries, the hypocracy, the back stabbing, the shunning, and how they have destroyed and broken up families.

Thank God I am no longer a Witness!

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Well, lets see- my husband did! He was one of my first real friends when I was a kid. He was one of a few good friends that shared the Bible with me and left it up to me- It worked!

Together my husband and I have talked with over 200 separate witnesses and 'planted the seed' so to speak. A few have left and the rest we will never know for sure probably. When you read many peoples stories there seems to be common theme that one or two people stick out in their minds as starting the doubt about the WT. It usually takes awhile for someone to work through everything before they actually decide to leave.

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

I was planning on making a post in the future about using psychological techniques and behavioral modification for the objectives of helping someone get out of the Borg. Like others here, I have helped several people to reason their way through things, which may or may not have been a critical factor in their leaving. I have gotten email from people who told me it made a big difference but then really, for the most part they were already searching for information.

Is it really possible to get to someone who is not already looking? I think it is but it won't be easy at all to get them to leave for a "rational" basis when they don't have good truth telling tools of their own and they have so much to lose by questioning things. Perhaps it is far easier to get someone to begin questioning things because of opening an emotional door than a logical one.

I remember a JW woman who knocked on my door one day about 8 years ago and it just happened to be one of those days when I felt like pushing JW buttons, and right in the middle of her presentation I launched into the JW mental illness coverup that happened after 1975 came and went with no big bang. To my surprise she just stopped talking completely and just stood there for a minute and then she told me that she had been in a mental hospital during that time also getting treatment for severe depression and that the elders had tried to talk her out of it! She had put it down to her own weaknesses and always felt ashamed about it. I believe something happened because of that as two weeks later a elder came to my door and wanted to find out who I was (I never admitted to her I was an ex-dub) and how I knew so much about the JW's.

So, unless you are prepared to do full scale deprograming and have the opportunity to spend several days to really tunnel through dub defenses you are best just left planting seeds and assisting those who are already looking.

Kind Regards,

Skipper

• teejay
    teejay

Mindchild,

I enjoyed your post and I agree with it.

I seriously doubt that anyone can "turn a JW into an ex" if they aren't already looking, questioning, searching. I KNOW because I've tried. But you CAN plant subtle seeds of doubt that have the potential to grow. I've been successful in doing that, too. People must want it first. As someone once said, "you can't wake someone who doesn’t know they're alseep."

• zanex
    zanex

I turned myself into a exjw and I remember what it was like but I agree with mindchild..I was already looking for something else..I think I am just natural cynic and to question anything is just my nature.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Q: Have you turned a jw into an EX-jw?

A: No, but I turned one into a quite handsome umbrella stand...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit