This commercial illustrates why I envy those who didn't grow up in a JW household.

by miseryloveselders 12 Replies latest jw friends

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

The MOST my parents permitted was me playing instruments (piano and flute)...but NOTHING past that! My father (an athlete himself) FORBID me - his naturally athletic daughter - to play basketball or tennis. No afterschool activities (not even meeting up at a classmates home to work on a project - I always ended up 'inconveniencing' everyone by making them meet at the library cause MOM didn't want 'unnecessary worldly association'). When I hear my BF tell stories of riding his bike with the neighborhood kids, playing football, going to his prom, hanging out at friends houses...and I feel like a retard cause I don't HAVE stories like that!!! My JW family didn't DO those things.

I give my parents credit for giving me VERY high morals and all, but the method they used (JW religion) gave them an excuse to be hard-nosed! My parents didn't bend - EVER. If ANY brother on the platform said "x is bad and so is y" then my parents took that as the voice of God giving them direction...so that made it difficult as a kid.

• wasblind
    wasblind

"I'd LOVE to learn how to play a musical instrament... but it will have to wait for the New Order."

There was a man in the congregation and no one wanted to sit near him cause he was a little

smelly, you don't think he was waitin' for the new order to take a bath, do ya'

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I really hate that I missed out on the Saturday morning cartoons. I feel cheated. Then sometimes we would get to the doors and you could smell bacon and hear cartoons; it was just torture.

We were allowed to be friends with all the neighbor kids and have friends at school, so that wasn't bad.

One thing I do regret is that my mom didn't encourage me toward doing things in school that would have helped me go to college. As it is I only considered the field I'm in after a "worldly" career counselor showed me that I was smart enough to do something other than menial work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit