Can someone be a Witness while on "inactive reserve" status with the military?

by SixofNine 7 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm in a discussion with a guy who tells JW's at his door that he can't follow their beliefs because, as a military retiree, he is technically and legally on the military rolls forever.

Anyone know if the society handles a person in this situation differently than anyone else who wants to be part of the congregation?

• asilentone
    asilentone

Good question, why don't you call Bethel?

• elderelite
    elderelite

we have had to deal with this. the answer is being retired from the military is fine. It is vewed as nothing more than reitrement from the government for service rendered. (what I feel [mosche and others] is irrelevant, just repeating brooklyn's info). Yes he was concdered "inactive but available for call up" until just a few months agao, actually. a legal designation he could not change is how we viewed it. the test we were given was , "is he actively engaged in war or supporting war". being active reserve would qualify, inactive did not. Dont jump on me for any perceived hypocracy. Just passing on the answer to the question asked.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

That's how I thought it was probably handled, elderlite. I thought maybe that the congregation would restrict privileges until the persons reserve commitment is fully over (this guy seems to be saying that for him as a retiree, his technical commitment is for the rest of his life - I was unaware of that, but it doesn't surprise me).

I explained to the guy that he may be throwing out a pretty good conversations stopper where most JWs at his door are concerned, but that the JW religion would take him if he'd take them, lol.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I know that in the USA, many people signed on to their first term of service don't do a full eight years. In the past, they used to allow a first term from 2 to 4 years but the person was "inactive reserve" for the remainder of 6 years from the initial enlistment. Later, they changed the 6 years to an 8-year-obligation. But that meant they could go back to their dope-smoking or become a JW or whatever and they would only be called if the government determined a need.

In that situation, they could be considered not part of the military. Heck, those ones were not even getting paid. It was only when and if they were reactivated that they had to make their stand "for the lie." Retired military could keep their checks and also only needed to be concerned when and if they were reactivated.

Wounded military could keep their medical benefits and their check and become JW's as well as retired ones.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I think that is okay only in Mexico.

• changeling
    changeling

wannabefree beat me to the punch line... :)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I would avoid WT policy altogether and use the Bible. Probably won't work but...

Read Acts 10:1-8 and 21-48.

Cornelius was a Roman general. He was in ACTIVE military service. Were his prayers unacceptable to God because of his duties in the military? No. God's own angel said (vs4) , "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God."

On this same day, while being active in the military in vs 47,48 he was baptized. There is absolutely NO talk about him leaving his military duties at that time. He may have had problems with it later on as persecution towards Christians increased (we don't know). But there were no requirements of him leaving at the time of his baptism. Also note that he did not have to go through questions with 3 elders to be "approved" by them to be baptized.

So regardless of what WT policy is, this shows that one can be acceptable to God while serving in public service. The WT twists the meaning of the scriptures regarding "Being no part of the world". This does not mean being involved in helping or defending others. This largely has to do with attitude towards things of the world. Watch any reality show to see how the world acts. My wife is addicted to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit