Anyone Familiar With the Roman Poet, Ovid?

by snowbird 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• snowbird
    snowbird

I remember a college class about him - I wasn't paying too much attention (head full of theocratic stuff).

I do remember that he had a lover named Olivia, Liv?

Anybody remember?

Syl

• changeling
    changeling

I remember I learned about him but don't remember what I learned... :)

• snowbird
    snowbird

ROFL!

Fair enough!

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Anyone else?

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

bttt - hoping Leolaia will take notice.

I remember a translation of a poem of his went something like this:

"Come Liv, let us take our fill of love; let us shake the bedstead in wild abandon ... "

Syl

• compound complex
    compound complex

A new idea is delicate. It can be killed by a sneer or a yawn; it can be stabbed to death by a quip and worried to death by a frown on the right man's brow.

Ovid

Hi Syl:

Glad I had saved this to my files ... it means more to me and how I interpret people and the day than much else....

Thoughts?

CoCo

• Terry
    Terry

As I recall, Emperor Augustus Caesar banished Ovid for writing poems about adultry because Augustus was trying to implement a policy

of monogamous marriage.

How does that square with our characterizations of Rome as a lewd and decadent pit of scurrilous opprobrium?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Ovid is so right about the negative aspects.

However, positively, a new idea can soar if met with nods of understanding and/or approval.

Thanks for replying, CoCo.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird
    How does that square with our characterizations of Rome as a lewd and decadent pit of scurrilous opprobrium?

Hey, Terry!

LOL.

Thanks for giving me two new entries for the WFTD thread.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/188172/1/word-for-the-day

Syl

• compound complex
    compound complex

However, positively, a new idea can soar if met with nods of understanding and/or approval.

Having gotten past the barrier of supersensitivity about my creations and outside reaction thereto, I, nonetheless, need to avoid negative distractions when a germ of an idea springs to life in the old bean. Since I commence writing here exclusively - this forum serves as a curious impetus to the forming of words - I often will don my mental and emotional blinders when putting pen to paper.

Thanks, Syl.

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit