Spying

by Adonai438 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Recently I read a thread where someones e-mails had been hacked by local elders.
    I have been e-mailing with a very nice person who has started 'independently thinking' lately. Because of this thread I wrote her that she should be careful of people finding her e-mails.
    The very next day her husband had hacked into her e-mails and was very upset.
    I was just wondering for all of you- how many have experiences like this?
    Stories of the Organization being underhanded and spying on people?

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

i guess they call it theocratic warfare ... but then again, i guess the nazi's also said the same ...

• Valis
    Valis

There is a difference between having an account hacked and being careless with your personal information like passwords, account information, etc...To assume that elders as a group are "hacking" into personal email accounts is ludicrous and slightly paranoid. If in fact, someone gives access information to a third party, be it friend, spouse, whatever, they are only asking for it, and shouldn't blame the nosy ones for such an indiscretion. There are civil and criminal remedies, but this requires documentation from the ISP like times it happened, emails in question, and specific details of how the information was used, which usually requires discovery and affadavits from the harmed party.

• rhett
    rhett

Hacking requires skill. You have to know the technical side of computers before you can do anything to them. Having someone read your email after you give them your password is not hacking. True, hacking is easier if you have a password but you don't have to have it to hack. That's just being nosey. It would be hacking if that person took your password, and somehow set your mail up so that anytime you got an email with the word Jehovah in it to be forwarded to your local elders as well as automatically send all of your messages to them too (which is possible if you have the right programs).

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• anewperson
    anewperson

Being concerned about having emails messed with is not ludicrous or paranoid but a genuine possibility which sometimes does happen. In fact entire websites are sometimes hacked, and those have included ones opposed to the Watchtower Society.

• Valis
    Valis

The term "messed" with is vague at best. Without repeating too much, websites and corps get hacked all the time, but your average joe w/ISP doesn't. It isn't wrth the real hacker's time. The real hacker culture is will not likely be found in the body of elders. If one is really concerned about hiding conversations, publications, or documentation for that matter, there are plenty of ways. Having said that, anyone who gives up account info, or doesn't use precaution is tanamount to the sheppard who didn't lock the pen, the "wolf" is always watching. Not to sound too paranoid myself, but if you are indeed doing things others shouldn't see then learn to be a step ahead, or get off the fence.

• Francois
    Francois

There was post here some time ago about a "brother," and elder, who did indeed hack into a "suspected apostates" email and later presented these emails to her in a subsequent kangaroo co....judicial meeting.

I recognize that there is a certain elitism among hackers, but there are so many programs available via shareware coupled with the fact that the average computer user's technical awareness is advancing rapidly, that one need not be a studied hacker to do this kind of thing.

You sluff off the elders intelligence, however I know an elder who is a director of organic research at Eastman, and another who is an electrical engineer at GE. Elders aren't necessairly ignorant rednecks.

Francois

• Valis
    Valis

I respectfully disagree that ordinary computer users can hack just by having a pice of software with any given capability. You have to have an intimate knowledge of IP packet interception, encrytion breaking and covering one's digital tracks. As well, I don't slough off anyone's intelligence, but I certainly think is takes a high level of proficiency to "hack", and if that is not the case, I invite any elder/ms/DO/CO/DF/DA/Apostate to hack my website, email, or at least get caught trying.

http://www.sassquatch.com

[email protected]

• anewperson
    anewperson

Valis, you are trying to sidetrack the thread. You know it didn't say everyone is a hacker. Here's the original post:

Recently I read a thread where someones e-mails had been hacked by local elders. I have been e-mailing with a very nice person who has started 'independently thinking' lately. Because of this thread I wrote her that she should be careful of people finding her e-mails.
    The very next day her husband had hacked into her e-mails and was very upset. I was just wondering for all of you- how many have experiences like this? Stories of the Organization being underhanded and spying on people?

Yes, Adonai, people who hide pedophiles as ordered to keep up the image of the WTS do also do things like hack and invade privacy in other ways.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

know any good hackers....then email me

I know very few...

it is silly to think hacking is so easy....

the best way to hack is to trick someone into gaining access

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit