Amateur Radio...

by titch 14 Replies latest jw friends

• titch
    titch

I was just wondering, Is there anyone on this Website who is involved in Amateur Radio, and has a current license? I do. I'll give the prefix of my call sign: It is KB6. But, that's all that I will divulge for now. Anyone else?

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Let me bump it for ya.

• moshe
    moshe

Yes, I have an extra class license- got my Novice in 1972- I have newer Yaesu radios, but I seldom get on the air. The Internet/email/skype is better for my needs and I don't care to do contests. I sometimes check into the Haverim Jewish net on 14.326, that's about it.

• Woody22
    Woody22

I am a licensed ham radio operator and I am like moshe very seldom get on the air.

Woody

• moshe
    moshe

I have a 50' coconut palm tree at the corner of my lot on a brackish Gulf access canal. I plan to put up a homemade vertical wire antenna using the tree for a support and driving a 10' piece of 3/4 conduit into the canal for my ground. Maybe I can get some good action with this setup. due to my city zoning, I can only have a 30ft tower- which a lot of guys would be love to have! I am looking at 20m and 5/8 wave for a start.

• titch
    titch

OK, thanks for responding, moshe and Woody22. Myself, I am still active on the air, regularly, on 2-meters, 220 MHz and 440MHz. I have a General Class license, but I don't have or use any HF equipment. I primarily use the 2-meters, 220 and 440 repeaters in the SoCal area. I've been licensed since 1986, getting a license at the urging of a former Witness. Both of us have since "faded out". The person who encouraged me to get a license is no longer active on Ham Radio, although renewing the license every 10 years. Anyway, got into it by taking a class taught by the famous ham radio instructor, Gordon West, in 1986. Anyone else out there on the board who has an Amateur license?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

KC6--- here. Member of Palomar club. Just recently had Field Day, which is lots of fun.

Gordon West came to speak at our club, and was one of the best speakers. Those are meeting you want to attend.

• moshe
    moshe

I was out of Ham radio the entire time I was a JW, in retrospect, if I had joined a club and kept my hobby, I might have been able to been able to dodge the JW love bombing.

• titch
    titch

kurtbethel: Yep, I agree; Gordon's presentation at any Amateur Radio club meeting is something to be be enjoyed! And moshe, interesting comment that you made regarding your being out of Amateur Radio the entire time that you were involved with JWs. When I first got into it Ham Radio in 1986 and 1987, I found that there were several Witnesses at the time who had a license. When I was still going to DCs at the time, I would bring my 2-meter HT with me, and converse with some of the Hams who were at the DC, during the intermission, on a simplex frequency. I've thought about parking near a DC site when a convention is going on, and listen in on some simplex freq's during the intermission time, and see if anyone at the DC is out there on the air! Would be interesting, if nothing else! Best Regards to both of you.

titch

• moshe
    moshe

Titch, I doubt you would hear anything today- cell phones have taken over that task. You would be more likely to talk to JWs on the FRS type walkie talkies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit