Do you know of ones who were mentally ill, that were labled as being demon posessed?

by miseryloveselders 41 Replies latest jw friends

• agonus
    agonus

"...they told him that having a broken mind was no different than having a broken arm."

Interesting line of reasoning. When was the last time someone was disfellowshipped for breaking their arm?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My experiences go back a few years now, but there were always one or two "nutty ones" in the old congregation of my youth. I have to say though that they were treated with kindness and even affection .....

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"This is the last religion somebody with even remotely paranoid tendencies needs to be a part of."

From my experience dealing with severely mentally ill people, they often seem to have a preoccupation with religion. I think mental illness and religious fervor go together like PB & J.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

""...they told him that having a broken mind was no different than having a broken arm.""

That reasoning should have led them to the conclusion that just like the broken arm, the "broken mind" needs treatment by a medical professional.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I knew several that were mentally ill in Bethel, they are currently labeled "Governing Body"!

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I knew several that were mentally ill in Bethel, they are currently labeled "Governing Body"!

Seriously, leaving the GB to serve for life practically guarantees that a certain proportion of them are going to be positively senile.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Agonus said: "I've heard about a few people getting disfellowshipped who were severely mentally ill, even schizophrenic. My question is, who in the hell would approve of somebody like this getting baptized in the first place..."

Perhaps these schizophrenic people were baptized when they were young, say in their very early teens. Often times, schizophrenia and bipolar disease don't manifest themselves until late teens, early twenties.

St.Ann

• JWoods
    JWoods

I actually knew of a JW family - father, mother, adult daughter - who were disfellowshipped for demonism. I would not call them exactly normal, but on the other hand would not necessarily call them stark raving mad either.

Their crime was that they were enamored of a native-american natural holistic healer, and would not back down on it when confronted by two hostile elders. The guy was selling them herbal tea - they were not engaging in midnight satanic rituals. But, they defied the elders with it - so out they went.

• undercover
    undercover
    Their crime was that they were enamored of a native-american natural holistic healer, and would not back down on it when confronted by two hostile elders. The guy was selling them herbal tea...

They called it "tea"...

but I'm sure there were dried leaves of some sort involved...

• JWoods
    JWoods

Tea, Undercover - just tea. But, in retrospect, they were pretty eccentric, even for witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit