Twickenham Assembly 1963 newsreel

by dozy 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Watchtowers Witnesses
    Watchtowers Witnesses

Does anyone have a idea why the Watchtower Society used to hold conventions for so long. Eight days, are you kidding me? How likely was it that everyone could get eight days off of work. What do you think was the motivation from the Watchtower Society to hold these long conventions?

• ambersun
    ambersun
    Anyone over 40 that film is likely dead now. They were convinced they were one of "millions now living who would never die".

Yes, Mickey mouse, I find it really sad as well. We joined in the mid 1960s when my parents were in their 30s and my memories of Twickers were of us all being euphoric in the belief that none of us would ever die.

My dad died 25 years ago and my Mom is now very frail but still as loyal and devoted as ever. She is doing her best to struggle to at least one day of the convention this year despite being very poorly.

If only we could go back in time and let all the adult JWs in the newsreel know that this old system would still be here in 2010 and that they were being conned.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Lots more historical films of JWs on that website http://www.britishpathe.com/results.php?search=jehovahs

• Mickey mouse
  • Mickey mouse
  • Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    My dad died 25 years ago and my Mom is now very frail but still as loyal and devoted as ever. She is doing her best to struggle to at least one day of the convention this year despite being very poorly. If only we could go back in time and let all the adult JWs in the newsreel know that this old system would still be here in 2010 and that they were being conned.

It's so sad. This really was the golden age of Jehovah's Witnesses. The attendees looked excited, enthusiastic and like true believers; very different to the masses at the conventions now.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

My parents were at Yankee Stadium in 1958. It's sad to look at those pictures. It was the golden age for my parents. They were young and beautiful. They had been married almost 5 years and they had an 18 month old baby. They were excited to be in the "truth", enthusiastic about sharing thier faith. Very sad to look at. Everything came tumbling down for them over the next 20 years.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I was there! How did we manage 8 days, 9 am till 9 pm, trying to read your songbook in the dark for the final song? We did have an afternoon off as I recall, we went on to trip to the British Museum!

Met a very nice young sister from Leeds, still have her photos somewhere. A couple of years later she did a runner, left home, left the 'truth'. Wise girl.

George

• man in black
    man in black

everyone in this video seems to have an aura of confidence on their faces.

And now they just basically look pissed all weekend long.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

That Twickenham Assembly film reminds me of the old style propaganda films that were popular in the day. Newsreel style that portrayed only what they wanted you to see in order to paint a bright and shiny picture. If they'd have filmed this in the U.S, and panned the camera around a bit more they'd have likely have seen a little boy (me) sitting on a hard bench baking in the sun with a tie and jacket on hour upon hour trying to take notes or transporting himself away mentally in order to maintain his sanity when they went into all the horrors we could expect any day during the tribulation. They'd have seen a weary mother of 4 with an unbelieving husband, standing in line with her kids for food, bathroom needs, and to locate accomodations for 8 days of 10 hour sessions. They'd have seen man holding a sign outside the restroom that read "Flush for B.M. only !" They'd have shown women fainting and falling down the steps because of the heat or weariness. They'd have interviewed Men who had been encouraged to quit their jobs in order to attend the assembly because J. would provide for them when they returned home.

I remember thinking the old Witnesses from the 1940's were the ones from the golden age of the society. They were the real die hard's that came up with 8 endless days of indoctrination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit