A Down Side to Hope?

by Audrey 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• Audrey
    Audrey

Good morning, French Knight, sir!

That is a wonderfully sad poem and haven't we all been there! Don't you agree that writing in poetry is great therapy? Most of my poems are of that ilk, which is why i post only the WT ones.

I have copied your poem "I waited." I am planning a painting that incorporates written poems, some of my own, and some others. May i use yours, with the French Knight author as author?

It is very beautiful. It really captures the essence of what i was trying to express in my poem above.

Audrey

P. S. If i didn't thank you for saying you liked my poem, thank you. It means even more since you write 'em too.

• Audrey
    Audrey

One more comment, Frenchy. Your signature line was also written by The French Knight then. It has meant so much to me at this time in my life! You'll never know! I would like permission to use that also in my painting.

Please let me know.

Audrey

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

My dear Audrey,
    A most pleasant good morning to you. You are certainly welcome to use whatever you may find of use in the poem, in fact I would be honored. Thank you again for your kind words. I would like to see the painting when you are finished with it if that is permissable.

I've spoken to the French Knight and he conveys his warmest regards to 'the fair lady Audrey' (his words) and is very pleased that that you would ever so much as give brief pause to any words of his, let alone find meaning to them. He, like myself, would be honored for you to make whatever use you would of any words of his.

I find that my poems are usually somewhat dark or at least bemoan some loss or unrealized anticipation. I would like to see more of your writing as you have time and see fit. To answer your question: "Don't you agree that writing in poetry is great therapy?"

My answer is yes, it is. I often suggest to people who are having difficulties in their lives, when they are at a stage where a decision is difficult in coming, to write down what they feel and then to go back the next day and read it and then write some more. Poetry is not something that comes easily for most people so I tell them that it need not necessarily be poetry, just write what you feel and don't worry about rhyme or composition.

I felt especially forlorn one dark, still night as I gazed up at the black, starless sky. Suddenly the night took on new meaning for me, it became something ominous, an emptiness so vast that it literally took my breath away. I stood there alone and the silence screamed at me and for but one instant of time, one blink of an eye only, I became truly aware of what eternity is. I went inside and wrote 'The Coming Night'.

Very early on I realized just how little of what we feel ever gets to be words and how little of what churns in our heads and hearts ever gets on paper. I felt frustrated at my inability to communicate in the written word things that burned inside of me. I stopped what i was attempting to do and wrote: 'How Great The Loss', a poem about what is lost between the poet's heart and the pen in his hand.

I thought about a decision that was made that rendered two hearts and I wrote: 'In The Ashes Of Time'. I mused one day on how fleeting life was, of the price we pay for the life we spend and I wrote: 'Upon The Wings Of Time'. I thought about how little we really know about how man started and what really happened in that fabled Gard of Eden and I wrote: 'Eve's Choice'. Well, the list goes on. When I have these...what?...stirrings...disturbances in my emotional equilibrium, I find that I must write about it. I find poetry to be a very powerful medium of expression.

Thank you very much for listening and for responding. I hope I continue to see you here.

• Audrey
    Audrey

Hello Frenchy,

You are such a beautiful writer. I can tell you're very thoughtful and introspective. I have just discovered this method of expression and it has been enormously helpful.

Thank you for sharing your intimate thoughts with me. It was wonderful reading.

Warmly,
    Audrey

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Dear Audrey,

How gracious you are! Thank you again.

I hope that you continue to develop your writing. For some of us, it's the only way of expressing ourselves fully. There is a place where words flow and our minds grasp and fondle them until we become intimate with them and all without fear of involvement and the incumbent responsibilities that come with it. Here in the world of words we run without being winded, we swim with no fear of drowning. We get to do what the mundane world will not allow. For a brief time we get to know true freedom. There exists in all of us a strange and mysterious duality of reality and fantasy. We live in reality but we do so need the fantasy as well, don’t you think? Though separate and so unlike, somewhere the twain must surely meet.

At that fragile and uneasy border lie dreams hoped for but for lack of courage remain unborn, bereft of the spark that would give them life to cross over to reality, they remain in the mists of possibilities unfulfilled. It is the place that unfinished dreams and fantasies are discarded. Writers and poets walk that mist in search of what might have been to remind us of what can be done.

I wish you a most happy day and I hope to see you again soon.

With warmest regards,
    Frenchy

• Audrey
    Audrey

Dear Frenchy,

As the 'Supreme One' of this board might say: "Dayum!" Your writing is the most beautiful i have ever seen. I'll be printing this thread out and saving (and savoring) your beautiful poetry & prose. It will inspire a poem or two in me.

Without seeming self-effacing, but wanting to be realistic, i almost feel embarrassed by my amateur efforts. BUT i'm not! So please don't think anything about it. I love your writing.

As far as the benefits to the writer, it's absolutely true. I've been penning poems about matters of deep concern to me. I'm finally having the time to understand the drive some have to create. And learn.

When i've written a poem about a deep concern, it's as if i've captured the essence of it and no longer need be so troubled.

Actually, it seems more powerful, for now at least, than prayer used to seem.

Well, fellow poet (& i flatter myself*), thanks for all of this and we'll be in touch. I think i, Audrey, have a kinship with The French Knight. But my alter-ego is just as likely to say "dayum!!"

Warmly,
    Audrey

* I'm not 'fishing for compliments,' as my mum used to say. It's just that i'm realistic.

• Audrey
    Audrey

Oh! Just a quick thought that is relevant to both of our poems about unrealised hope:

"The world: take it easy, but take it"
    Woody Guthrie

And, in some ways your writing reminds me of a book by Pat Conroy (Prince of Tides). He has such a beautiful, pictorial way of writing.

Have you published anything? I think you could.

Have a great Saturday!

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Dear Audrey,
    Methinks you lavish far too much praise on me. (But it feels good! Thanks!) I’m an amateur as well. I’ve never published anything and so I write for my own amazement. I’m flattered that you think my work is worth publishing.

I write because I have to. Just like you, when I’m finished with a sad poem, I’m not as sad anymore. Maybe it’s the effort involved in giving the feelings some structure (much like the prayers you mentioned) and bringing them up to the surface. Just like things that trouble us in the night don’t seem to be as bad in the morning light. The posters on this board have found out that venting their anger and revealing their fears and insecurities have helped them to cope. To compose a poem requires more effort and soul searching than just making a list of what makes you angry or sad. For that reason alone it is more therapeutic, I believe.

Anyway, here’s a thought: If writing sad poems helps alleviate the sadness that is within us, why does the writing of a love poem makes us feel even better, perhaps even more in love? Any thought on this?

With warmest regards,
    Frenchy

P.S. I like the Woody Guthrie quote.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit