finally read Crisis of Conscience

by A.Fenderson 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

I recently finished reading Crisis of Conscience. In short, it was one of the most important books I've ever read, even considering that I left the KH 13 years ago. I honestly cannot see how anyone could read it and still maintain that they believe in the WTS religion--have any of you ever known someone to read it and actually still believe and be happy with the JW religion? Obviously it's considered apostate literature, but I'm sure that doesn't stop all those who consider themselves JWs from reading it, especially if ever convinced to do so by doubting or concerned friends, family, or spouses.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

• Quandry
    Quandry

You know, I haven't read it. I've been "out" five years now. All the comments about it make me really want to read it.

• Gayle
    Gayle

It is a must read.. I just loaned someone who has been in and out of JWs for years,,if this doesn't cure him, nothing will. Quandry, please read it. Another recent contact, had his library order it and was reading it in last contact. You have been on this site plenty long now to not have any qualms about reading it. You probably have heard enough pieces of Ray Franz writings, but the book just ties it all together.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Heh... Yes, it is a seminal piece on the inner workins of the Watchtower Society...

I've posted a few excerpts in my thread, "Re-Reading "Crisis of Conscience", if you want a 'taste'...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/195659/1/Re-reading-Crisis-of-Conscience-again

I will be posting a few more, eventually...

Zid

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

That book, which I'm in the middle of reading again, will hit you like a punch in the gut. Ray lays it all out with nothing to hide.

I'm happy that you've had a chance to read the book my friend.

Mike

• crapola
    crapola

I read it and honestly could'nt put it down. I want to read it again. And I don't see how anyone could read it and still believe the JW crap!

• crapola
    crapola

Check your PM's.

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

Quandry, please read it.

+1.

I've since lent the book to someone dear to me who is presently questioning the role of the WTS in Christian worship. I told them prior to giving it to them that I sincerely believed that if they read it they could no longer remain a JW. First we spoke of it since, they asked "Why did you give me that book?" I was very worried for a second, but then they told me that they were about half-way through and found it so interesting that they couldn't put it down. I was very relieved and glad to hear that.

I am not any type of Christian or all that interested in Christianity--considering that, would anyone who's read In Search of Christian Freedom recommend reading that as well, or is it more geared to those who wish to follow Jesus yet not the WTS?

• Quandry
    Quandry

Quandry, please read it. Another recent contact, had his library order it and was reading it in last contact. You have been on this site plenty long now to not have any qualms about reading it. You probably have heard enough pieces of Ray Franz writings, but the book just ties it all together.

No, no qualms about reading it. I have gone back to school, in addition to working full time. I just finished an intensive course of Abnormal Psychology. I am getting a degree........long overdue.......in History. All my attention at the moment has to be geared toward that goal.

When I left the WTS, I felt worthless and stupid. I am doing something about the stupid.

• donny
    donny

What is so great about the book is that it's not a bunch of angry rants or slams against anything JW, instead it is an honest examination of a person who was truly conflicted by what he had been taught the Society was versus what was actually being practiced. A very good read.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit