What is your reaction when you see dubs with name badges? Here was mine:

by SnakesInTheTower 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

They're meeting at the Convention Center in downtown Sac this summer, which is just a few blocks from my apartment. So of course, they were lined up out the door at my favorite Starbucks on Sunday morning when I stopped in for my coffee and my Sunday NYTimes. It kinda freaked me out, mostly because I was afraid with that crowd, they'd have sold out of the Times (it sometimes is gone quite early).

Then I remembered that they were all JWs, and thought, "Nope. Not gonna take my Times."

And they didn't. I just grabbed the Times and sat and read it until they'd cleared out for the opening session, then paid for it and got my coffee, too.

This week was a Spanish-language assembly, but it seemed to me that most of the attendees--at least the 50 or so in my Starbucks--spoke English well enough to handle an English assembly (oh, wait--they don't call 'em assemblies any more, do they? I mean "convention").

Ought to be a fun summer.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Funny, I have never been to a business-related convention in which ANYBODY ATTENDING - hosts, or guests - wanted to wear their name badges all over town outside the official sessions.

Yet, that idea - wearing them around for all the locals to see (proving you to be an oddball) is a prime directive of the WT.

(oh, wait--they don't call 'em assemblies any more, do they? I mean "convention").

Interesting, the two words were interchangeable JW-speak back in my day over 3 decades ago.

• undercover
    undercover
    I have never been to a business-related convention in which ANYBODY ATTENDING - hosts, or guests - wanted to wear their name badges all over town outside the official sessions.

Very true. I have to attend trade shows and other industry events that require badges to enter. As soon as we exit the convention center, we're all taking them off and stuffing them in our pockets...cause we're heading to the hotel bar or some other bar and we don't wanna look like a bunch of goobers.

I remember one trade show where corporate managment gave everyone polo shirts with the company logo stiched on them. We were "required" to wear them to the show and to any company sponsered event. I joked to our division vice-president that it made us look like a cult. He, not one to miss an oppurtunity and who knew my past as a JW said, "Well, you should be used to it then."

• undercover
    undercover

As for the assembly/convention thing, I don't remember when it became conventions but the summer 3-4-5-7-8 day events were "district or international conventions" and all the other 2 day (and in early days - 3 day) circuit events were "circuit assemblies"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit