Another Question for Debator, If I May...

by AGuest 9 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

And may you have peace!

I was wondering if you could explain for me, please, how it is that "Armageddon" is supposed to occur "soon"... when, according to "the Bible"... it doesn't occur until AFTER the 1,000 years (which haven't even started, right?)... have ended? And since the 1,000 years don't start until "immediately AFTER the great tribulation"... and "great tribulation" has not occurred yet... how did we get from there (the GT)... to Armageddon so quickly? I think I see at least a 1,000-year discrepancy, if not more (seeing as how the GT hasn't occurred, yet. I agree, it will... but it hasn't...), but maybe I'm in error.

Can you explain that to me, please? And I understand if you need to "research" the matter; however, may I offer the following to assist you in doing so?

"And I saw three unclean inspired expressions [that looked] like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon and out of the mouth of the wild beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet. They are, in fact,expressions inspired by demons and perform signs, andtheygo forth to the kings of the entire inhabited earth,to gather them together to the warof the great day of God the Almighty." Revelation 16:13, 14

"Andthey gathered them together tothe place that is called in HebrewHar–Ma·ged´on." Revelation 16:16

"... he seized the dragon, the original serpent, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for athousand years.And he hurled him into the abyss and shut [it] and sealed [it] over him, that he might notmislead the nations anymore until thethousand yearswere ended. After these things he must be let loose for a little while." Revelation 20:2, 3

"Now as soon as thethousand years have been ended, Satan will be let loose out of his prison, and he will go out tomislead those nations in thefour corners of the earth, Gog and Ma´gog, to gather them together forthe war. The number of these is as the sand of the sea. And they advanced over the breadth of the earth and encircled the camp of the holy ones and the beloved city. But fire came down out of heaven and devoured them." Revelation 20:7-9

Since Armageddon is such an important event... and one taught by the WTBTS to be so imminent... I think everyone here deserves an explanation. I know I would like one.

Again, I bid you peace!

YOUR servant, as I am servant to ALL those of the Household of God, Israel... and all those who go with... even if we don't agree on the "details"... and a slave of Christ,

SA

• foolsparadise
    foolsparadise

Are we talking mans 1,000 year time or jehovahs 1,000 year time. If it is jehovahs 1,000 year time and one day equals a thousand years we are talking 356,000 years.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

I thought it was 1,000 years equals one day.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Whatever, dear FP (peace to you!)... it's still "1,000" (times one or times 3-1/2 times, or...)... years AFTER the END... of a couple/few things that haven't even started... or ended... yet. Right, dear Debator?

Peace to you both!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

No no no...using a day for a year, it's 1000 days of years. Normally that would be 365250 days, buthese are prophetic years, so we use 360 to get to 360000 days. So, using , it's 360000 years of365.25 days each.

• foolsparadise
    foolsparadise

I guess it doesnt really matter because we will all die anyways, so who cares.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

What you have cited here is the final test after the grand millennium, not Armageddon. If you have the Watchtower CD or the Revelation Book this is thoroughly explained:

re chap. 40 pp. 291-292 Crushing the Serpent’s Head

The Final Test

By the end of the Thousand Year Reign, all earth will have come to resemble the original Eden. It will be a veritable paradise. Perfect mankind will no longer need a high priest to intercede for it before God, since all traces of Adamic sin will have been removed and the last enemy, death, brought to nothing. Christ’s Kingdom will have achieved God’s purpose to create one world with one government. At this point, Jesus “hands over the kingdom to his God and Father.”—1 Corinthians 15:22-26; Romans 15:12.

It is now time for a final test. Will that perfected world of mankind, in contrast with the first humans in Eden, stand firm in its integrity? John tells us what happens: “Now as soon as the thousand years have been ended, Satan will be let loose out of his prison, and he will go out to mislead those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together for the war. The number of these is as the sand of the sea. And they advanced over the breadth of the earth and encircled the camp of the holy ones and the beloved city.”—Revelation 20:7-9a.

How will Satan’s last effort fare? He deceives “those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog,” and leads them to “the war.” Who could possibly side with Satan after a thousand years of joyful, upbuilding theocratic rule? Well, do not forget that Satan was able to mislead the perfect Adam and Eve while they were enjoying life in the Paradise of Eden. And he was able to lead astray heavenly angels who had seen the bad results of the original rebellion. (2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6) So we should not be surprised that some perfect humans will be enticed to follow Satan even after a delightful thousand years of rule by God’s Kingdom.

The Bible calls these rebels “nations in the four corners of the earth.” This does not mean that mankind will have been divided once again into mutually exclusive national entities. It merely indicates that these will separate themselves from Jehovah’s righteous, loyal ones and manifest the same bad spirit that the nations show today. They will “think up an injurious scheme,” as did the Gog of Magog in Ezekiel’s prophecy, with a goal of destroying theocratic government on earth. (Ezekiel 38:3, 10-12) Hence, they are called “Gog and Magog.”

The number of those who join Satan in his revolt will be “as the sand of the sea.” How many is that? There is no foreordained number. (Compare Joshua 11:4; Judges 7:12.) The final total number of rebels will depend on how each individual reacts to Satan’s deceptive wiles. Doubtless, though, there will be a considerable number, since they will feel strong enough to overcome “the camp of the holy ones and the beloved city.”

“The beloved city” must be the city that is spoken of by the glorified Jesus Christ to his followers at Revelation 3:12 and that he calls “the city of my God, the new Jerusalem which descends out of heaven from my God.” Since this is a heavenly organization, how could those earthly forces ‘encircle’ it? In that they encircle “the camp of the holy ones.” A camp is outside a city; therefore, “the camp of the holy ones” must represent those on earth outside the heavenly location of New Jerusalem who loyally support Jehovah’s governmental arrangement. When the rebels under Satan attack those faithful ones, the Lord Jesus regards it as an assault on him. (Matthew 25:40, 45) “Those nations” will try to wipe out all that the heavenly New Jerusalem has accomplished in making earth a paradise. So in attacking “the camp of the holy ones,” they are also attacking “the beloved city.”

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Not that I believe any of this BS (Bible Stuff) but AG is describing the technical way that this is all accepted in Christianity.
    The common-usage of Armageddon is the time of destruction that would technically be the Great Tribulation and whatever death and destruction lead to the abyssing of Satan.

So if most people confuse the death and destruction of the great tribulation and the beginning of the 1000 years with the term "Armageddon," it's just more proof that God isn't clear on these matters. Or else Satan is so slick to disguise the truth from most people and they better hope that God doesn't destroy them for not being able to pick "the truth" out from all the lies.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    What you have cited here is the final test after the grand millennium, not Armageddon.

What, then, is "Armageddon," dear Alice (may you have peace!). In light of the FACT that God's "war" is fought at the place called, in Hebrew, "Har-Magedon"...

They are, in fact, expressions inspired by demons and perform signs, andthey go forth to the kings of the entire inhabited earth, to gather them together to the war of the great day of God the Almighty. ... "And they gathered them together to the place that is called in Hebrew Har-Ma ged on." Revelation 16:13-16

... please, do tell.

Regardless, my POINT... is that God's "war" (which the WTBTS and others refer to as "Armageddon") occurs only ONCE... and that is AFTER the 1,000 years have ENDED. Even your recitation states this:

It is now time for a final test. Will that perfected world of mankind, in contrast with the first humans in Eden, stand firm in its integrity? John tells us what happens: “Now as soon as the thousand years have been ended, Satan will be let loose out of his prison, and he will go out to mislead those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together for the war. The number of these is as the sand of the sea. And they advanced over the breadth of the earth and encircled the camp of the holy ones and the beloved city.”—Revelation 20:7-9a.

How will Satan’s last effort fare? He deceives “those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog,” and leads them to “the war.” Who could possibly side with Satan after a thousand years of joyful, upbuilding theocratic rule? Well, do not forget that Satan was able to mislead the perfect Adam and Eve while they were enjoying life in the Paradise of Eden. And he was able to lead astray heavenly angels who had seen the bad results of the original rebellion. (2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6) So we should not be surprised that some perfect humans will be enticed to follow Satan even after a delightful thousand years of rule by God’s Kingdom.

So, you tell me, please... how is it what we are to be trembling over "Armagedon" NOW... when the 1,000 years haven't even started!?? I mean, I'm just sayin'...

Again, I bid you peace.

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest

Okay, I'm back, dear Alice (again, peace to you!)... and would like to address another part of your post, if I may - thank you!

The article you posted states:

“The beloved city” must be the city that is spoken of by the glorified Jesus Christ to his followers at Revelation 3:12 and that he calls “the city of my God, the new Jerusalem which descends out of heaven from my God.”

Let's just take this part, for a second.

must be the city that is spoken of by the glorified Jesus Christ to his followers at Revelation 3:12

A very interesting thing about that verse. It also includes the thought:

"I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God..."

Hmmmm... what, though, is the "temple... of God?" Paul made a suggestion:

" Do YOU not know that YOU people are God’s temple, and that the spirit of God dwells in YOU ?" 1 Corinthians 3:16

Say, what? How can PEOPLE be a "temple"? Well, Paul also made a suggestion as to that, as well. In order to understand him, though... and what the "temple of God" truly is, you would have to understand was a "temple" is. A temple... is a place... that "houses"... a spirit being. Sometimes, even a false spirit being (think, Temple of Athena). If it "houses" such a spirit, then one can also call it a "house", yes? As in, the Temple of Jerusalem, which was also called, "the House of God" because God's spirit filled it, yes? 2 Chronicles 5:14

So, how is it that PEOPLE can BE God's temple? Well, let's take a look. Again, we're gonna defer to Paul, who suggests:

"Certainly, therefore, YOU are no longer strangers and alien residents, but YOU are fellow citizens of the holy ones and are members of the household of God..." Ephesians 2:19

Okay, makes sense... people being members of a houseHOLD. But Paul went on and what he wrote was very interesting:

"...and YOU have beenbuilt up upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets..." Ephesians 2:20

Okay, wait... a "foundation." OF people? But don't you usually find those in... buildings? Structures? Could be...

"... while Christ Jesus himself is the foundation cornerstone." Ephesians 2:20

Okay, well, now we've got a foundation... and a foundation cornerstone. Sounds like a building...

" In union with him the whole building..." Ephesians 20:21

Well, lookie there, a BUILDING!

"... being harmoniously joined together, is growing into a holy temple..." Ephesians 20:21

A building... that is going to be TEMPLE! A temple for WHO? WHICH spirit?

"... for JAH." Ephesians 20:21

Well, well, well! But, wait, there's MORE...

"In union with him YOU , too, are being built up together into a place for God to inhabit by spirit." Ephesians 2:22

Well, okay, now! We have a building... that is a temple... that is going to be inhabited... by God... by SPIRIT. Cool. Let's move on (or back) to "the City"...

The scripture we both referred to (Revelation 3:12) mentions pillars in the temple of God... and we now know that "temple" is people. It also mentions the “the city of my God, the new Jerusalemwhich descends out of heaven from my God.”

What is that "city" exactly? Do we know? Can we? Sure, we can. John tells us that, as well:

"I saw also the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband." Revelation 21:2

So, John sees and writes about the "holy city" that Christ mentions - same name, both descending/coming down "out of heaven from God." However, the John adds to the description that "she" is "prepared as a bride for her husband." A bride? First, we have a building/temple/house made of people... and now we have a city prepared as a bride. How can a city be a bride, let alone prepared as one? How can that be? Because, like the temple... that "city"... is made of people, too! THE SAME PEOPLE.

Let's take a look. But, first, let's make sure we're talking about New Jerusalem, the City... which is also a bride:

"And there came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls which were full of the seven last plagues, and he spoke with me and said: “Come here, I will show you the bride, the Lamb’s wife.” So he carried me away in [the power of the] spirit to a great and lofty mountain, and he showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God and having the glory of God." Revelation 21:9-11

Okay, same city... same bride... New Jerusalem. But how is New Jerusalem made of PEOPLE? Well, let's look at that, too. Again, Paul is of some help:

"For I am jealous over YOU with a godly jealousy, for I personally promised YOU in marriage to one husband that I might present YOU as a chaste virgin to the Christ." 2 Corinthians 11:2

And who was Paul speaking of when he wrote this? He tells us that, too:

"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus through God’s will, and Timothy [our] brother to the congregation of God that is in Corinth, together with all the holy ones who are in all of A·cha´ia:" 2 Corinthians 1:1

So, as you can see (although, perhaps you cannot "see", yet - Psalm 146:8; Isaiah 42:7; Mark 8:23; Luke 4:18; Revelation 3:17, 18)... this "chaste virgin,"... this "bride"... this "New Jerusalem"... is not only a temple, but a city... made of people... THE HOLY ONES.

Now, back to your article:

Since this is a heavenly organization, how could those earthly forces ‘encircle’ it? In that they encircle “the camp of the holy ones.” A camp is outside a city;

Those "earthly forces" can "encircle" the camp of the Holy City because... New Jerusalem... COMES DOWN OUT OF HEAVEN. To... the earth. The camp is not outside the city, dear one... it is outside the temple. In a "fortressed" city, the "camp" was outside the CASTLE (where the king dwelled), true... which castle was either in the CENTER of the city compound (or toward the back if the city was built against a cliff/mountain side). The CAMP... was outside the castle, but INSIDE the walls. Dear one, if camp was outside the City walls... the town would fall. If you study ancient buildings, you would see not only the camp inside the wall, but the marketplace, livery, smithy, forge, butcher, laundry, and more. True, the market often spilled OUTSIDE the city, when there was peace in the land and good weather. But for the PROTECTION of the CITIZENS of the city that the king ruled OVER... the camp was inside the gate. When enemies attacked, the gate(s) were closed and everyone was INSIDE.

therefore, “the camp of the holy ones” must represent those on earth outside the heavenly location of New Jerusalem who loyally support Jehovah’s governmental arrangement.

Well, that would be a good explanation... if John had not already written as to what was "outside" the City (New Jerusalem):

"Outside are the dogs and those who practice spiritism and the fornicators and the murderers and the idolaters and everyone liking and carrying on a lie.’" Revelation 22:15

What? Dogs??!! And other sundry non-desirables? Who in the world could THAT be? John tells us that, too:

"... those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Ma´gog... they advanced over the breadth of the earth..." Revelation 20:9

Now, wait, how do we know those "dogs" are Gog and Ma'gog? Because, dear one... they're the ONLY ones OUTSIDE of the City! Because they advance over the breadth of the earth. However, if "the camp of the holy ones must represent those on earth outside the heavenly location of New Jerusalem"... wouldn't these... Gog and Ma'gog... overcome them... LONG before they even got CLOSE to the "heavenly location" of New Jerusalem (and how they would do THAT... from earth... is another WTBTS 'mystery' yet to be explained. But, I digress...). They would, IF those i the camp are on the earth and OUTSIDE the city.

But Gog and Ma'gog do NOT overcome these (the camp) because they are INSIDE the city walls. Thus, John writes:

"... they advanced over the breadth of the earth and encircled the campof the holy onesandthe beloved city." Revelation 20:9

Now, how, I ask you... could these have encircled BOTH the camp AND the city... if the two are in different places?? The WTBTS 'splanation, aside, the answer is... they can't. First, for the obvious reason: by the WTBTS definition, they're in two different places. But secondly, if New Jerusalem is in HEAVEN... how in the WORLD did Gog and Ma'gog get THERE... to encircle it, as well?

Here is a more logical explanation for you to consider, and one that is actually the TRUTH: New Jerusalem has come down out of heaven HERE (yes, I know, John writes about that later, but it has already happened here! John, a physical man... could only write linearly, dear one. So, he did not write the Revelation in chronological order. He wrote everything he saw (1) many of which things he saw ALL AT ONCE, but could only write about linearly (thus, "and I saw," "and I saw," does NOT mean, "and AFTER this I saw," but "I ALSO saw..."); and (2) he wrote as WHAT he saw was revealed to him. And it was not revealed in strict chronological order. Thus, at Revelation 20:9... he saw the "city" already having COME DOWN... DESCENDED. At Revelation 21:2... he saw that descension, as it occurred.

Now, how do we KNOW New Jerusalem has come down/descended when Gog and Ma'gog "encircle the camp?" Because they ALSO encircle the city... and we KNOW the City is not in heaven, because... FIRE COMES DOWN OUT FROM HEAVEN AND DESTROYS GOG AND MA'GOG. Who are "encirling" the camp and City!

I know, I know... you want to know how is it, then, that the camp and City aren't destroyed? I asked this and the answer is wonderful. Think Daniel... in the fiery furnace. If Nebuchadnezzar's fire, which was SO hot that it killed the men directly outside the furnace, did not kill Daniel and his companions, the very same kind of "protection" occurs here. Only, this time, instead of it being one angel protecting four young men... these, those who make up the camp and City... have the same KIND of body as that angel... and so no protection is needed!

When the rebels under Satan attack those faithful ones, the Lord Jesus regards it as an assault on him. (Matthew 25:40, 45)

Actually, not quite. My Lord is also "inside" the City, in that he is the Tree of Life... in the MIDST of that City. No, dear one, it is the Most Holy One of Israel Himself that regards it as an assault... and so acts:

"But fire came down out of heaven and devoured them." Revelation 20:9

It is not my Lord who brings down such fire from heaven:

"Smoke went up at his nostrils, and fire itself from his mouth kept devouring;" 2 Samuel 22:9

"Smoke went up at his nostrils, and fire itself from his mouth kept devouring; ... From your rebuke, O Jehovah, from the blast of the breath of your nostrils..." Psalm 18:8, 15

"Before him a very fire goes, And it consumes his adversaries all around." Psalm 97:3

"His throne was flames of fire; its wheels were a burning fire. There was a stream of fire flowing and going out from before him." Daniel 7:10

The Most Holy One of Israel is a seraph, dear Alice. A fiery, flying, serpent (and no, that is NOT a snake!). They all are, spirit beings. That is their species. That is why my Lord is likened to the "copper serpent" lifted up by Moses. Just as Israel was to keep their eye on the one lifted up by Moses, WE... are to keep OUR eye on the One lifted up... by God. That "serpent"... and Christ... are the ONLY "images" the Most Holy One of Israel directed earthling man to place... and keep... their gaze on.

I bid you peace... and ears to hear... when the Spirit and the BRIDE say to YOU:

"Come! "Take 'life's water'... free!"

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit