Me and my JW friend's first brithday experience

by JerkhovahsWitless 9 Replies latest jw friends

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

My friend's brithday was a few months ago. Due to some things that were going on at the time, he wasn't able to sneak out with me and celebrate it like I wanted to do with him. It was delayed until tonight where we finally celebrated it.

I don't know how birthdays are suppose to be celebrated, especially when its just a 2 person party, but I tried my best. We couldn't do it in public out of fear that some JW would see us. So, he met me at my office where I was the only person there. We had pizza, beer and I gave him a pagan birthday card and gift. The gift was a custom gift card that had a photo I took of a fun memory we had 4-5 years ago. I had this quote from Caral Sagan on it " ...It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "

We did the cake outside because I work for a JW and there's cameras inside the office. Murphy's Law would have made sure that tonight my boss gets robbed and reviews the security tape, so we did the obvious birthday cake part outside. Outside he had his cake with candles that were in the shape of his age and sparklers. I made him wear a stupid looking party hat and took his picture.

He enjoyed it and I enjoyed getting to do it for him. I'm not sure if that's "the way" to properly celebrate a brithday or if it sounds totally lame as far as brithdays go, but it was a nice time. Now to plan what to do for Christmas...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think what you did was sweet. It's the thought that counts not how big the party is.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

You did a great thing! I hope he returns the favor when your birthday rolls around! Do you live close to any exjws or know any"worldly" people where you and your friend can go to celebrate Christmas?

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

Thanks mrsjones. The majority of his family aren't JWs. I'm hoping maybe next year he'll have let them known about JWs and his point of view. Then I could work with them so he could have a real party surrounded with people that love him instead of just one.

jamiebowers: You did a great thing! I hope he returns the favor when your birthday rolls around! Do you live close to any exjws or know any"worldly" people where you and your friend can go to celebrate Christmas?

We don't really know any exjws or a group of them. Only his parents and siblings are JWs. The rest of his family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, etc) are not, so he could have a some what normal Christmas without parents and siblings. I don't think he'll be ready this year to let his non-JW family know he wants to celebrate Christmas, so it'll probably just be us doing a gift exchange and hanging out. I hope by next year he tells his non-JW family. I know it would make his grandparents so happy to finally share Christmas with one of their grandsons for the very first time in their lives.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

That's awesome! Congrats on your semi-freedom! That's kind of where I am at...I have a BIG birthday coming up very soon. Thankfully, my best friend in the world is "in the world" lol...so we're doing something special (a haunted trolley ghost and graveyard tour!). Last year I went to my very first birthday party and it was for her daughter (she turned 2)...and this year I made the cake for her 3rd birthday. My BFF's birthday is less than a month after mine, so I'll be figuring out something cool for her, too. I celebrated New Years this year, I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas with her family for the first time. I'm still fading...but getting closer and closer to getting gone with every meeting I miss.

Next year, dear Jerkhovah'sWitless, go all out and do something really special. But well done on your "first birthday"!

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

Morbidzbaby: so we're doing something special (a haunted trolley ghost and graveyard tour!).

That sounds awesome! I've wanted to do something like that for such a long time. I'm actually planning in a couple months to take him a few hours away for the weekend to a well-known "haunted" city. The plan is to stay at an Inn downtown and one day do the tourist attractions, which includes ghost tours. The next day will be spent at the beach and nights will be spent downtown within walking distance to the Inn. Another trip planned for this year is to camp at a state park located at a beach. He's had a crappy year so far and its only going to get worse in the next few months, so I'm hoping these trips will help take his mind off of things.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

The size and date of the gathering is not important, it is being with those you love that is important.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello JerkhovahsWitless,

Nice :) }There is not particular way to celebrate unless you follow the WT directions and have a beheading or two ;)

We had pizza, beer and I gave him a pagan birthday card and gift.

Who says they are "pagan"? The WT?!

What is there to say that Jesus didn't have cake, pizza and a card on his birthdays?

1 Corinthians 10:23 (English Standard Version)

Do All to the Glory of God
    23 "All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up. If you are doing something positive in celebrating life then why not?

Blessings,

Stephen

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

If you and your friend are anywhere near NE Ohio, give me a shout out. There's always room for a few more at any of the celebrations we have for all of the holidays.

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

Chalam: LOL, a beheading! I knew I forgot to include something in the party.

jamiebowers: Thank you so much for the offer! That's really sweet of you. :) We're waaaay down in Florida though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit