What Unusual Watchtower Suggestions Do You Recall?

by laverite 14 Replies latest jw friends

• wasblind
    wasblind

I was not a born in, and by reading these post, i have a lot to be thankful for.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

You are right, wasblind. I was a born-in and everyone of these stories is completely believable.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

One elder for many years encouraged everyone to live in low-income subsidized housing, and work only a minimum number of hours doing cleaning, so as to pioneer.

I remember thinking, "But someone (tax-payers) has to subsize your housing....."

I think he's prolly around retirement age now. Wonder how he's making out?

• laverite
    laverite

Palmtree67 - I have seen the same thing and have two family members doing exactly that with low income housing.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I had one come from the scumbag that dragged me into the cancer. He wanted me to move into the apartment complex he got a new job as manager of, and it was supposed to save me $5 off my then-current rent. I was paying $275, and had recently moved one door--saving $5 and getting a better apartment. The $270 apartment was not furnished (the one I was in was), it was in a very bad neighborhood, and was an extra 4 miles each way to work.

The idea was that he would save me $5 a month, and that was to allow me to cut way back on work so I could pio-sneer. What he didn't tell me was that my other expenses would not diminish, that my work schedule was determined by their need and not mine, and that I didn't want to spend the extra time walking through one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. Also, the cost of furniture would more than make up the extra $5 a month. And, what happens when the rent goes up? Where I stayed, my rent was $275 a month and did not go up. I could have started at $270, only to have it bumped to 280, 290, 300, 325,... per month.

A nominal savings of $5 a month (not including that expenses would have eaten that, and then some). All for an extra 70 hours a month of field circus, plus time wasted preparing. Which isn't even minimum wage! Good thing I never took up that offer. Notably, he didn't offer anyone else that "stellar" deal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit