holiday pay

by butalbee 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• butalbee
    butalbee

I can't understand this--JW don't celebrate christmas or thanksgiving, but still demand to get paid for the holiday at work? Isn't that hypocritical of them?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Or they insist on time and a half, double time, and in some cases TRIPLE TIME for working the Holiday. My wife's ex husband got $50.00 an hour for working Thanksgiving day and was still home in time to eat his turkey that he had because "Turkey is so cheap at that time of year"

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole

The rule on Holiday pay was to view it as a bonus that you rightly were due regardless of whether it occurred at Christmas or not.

What is was called by the secular was not as it was received by the witness.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Why should the JW who does the same job as a non-JW receive less pay? When I was a JW, I used to work for a company that had 8 paid holidays per year, and people ribbed me about the holidays ("You don't believe in Christmas, you should come to work!").
    I used to reply that, sure, I'd work on Christmas and all the other holidays if they wanted; but then I'd expect 8 paid days off during the summer instead. Why should I have to work 8 days more than everyone else to get the same annual pay?

Tom
    "The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

When I was a young swingin single gal, my roommate worked in an insurance office that had employed several JW's. At Christmas time, there was always an office party for the staff and Christmas bonuses given out. The JWs, of course, would NEVER attend the party, but they made sure that they collected the $$$.

Andee

• simplesally
    simplesally

I think that they should have the same time off. I volunteered to work all the time except then realized that as a commissioned salesperson, there were no customers to be had, so I might as well be off too, rather than waste my time. Eventually the Jewish boss realized that there were no people to work on the holidays he wanted to have open just in case a customer cruised thru.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit