Language usage gripes : I'm a geek, but I hate it when geeks who pride themselves on their proper use of technical terms, abuse the terms used by all other educated people.

by gubberningbody 30 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

No I been sitting here inhaling the sweat aroma of workplace boredom and office politic THC. I'm stuck in here for another hour or so. I intend to hit the Svedka later today. Svedka is surprisingly smooth for as inexpensive as it is. Not quite Grey Goose, but it will do for those of us on a budget.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I'm not impressed with Svedka. I like Skyy.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I've never had Skyy, I'll have to give that a try one day. I like Absolute. Vokda bottles have got to be the coollest looking bottles by the way.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Svedka is very good for the money. Iceberg is too, that iceberg water seems to add something unique to it.

BTS

• TD
    TD
    Is this a word from the 50s or something? When did it come about?

--Not sure. If I had to guess, I would say that it was probably invented by Fred Franz. I haven't seen it lately, but it used to pop up every few years:

"The results have been happifying. By 1983 the number of publishers had grown to 538" (W97 10/15 p. 27)

"This has led to happifying results, as illustrated by an experience in connection with a letter received by the branch office." (W95 2/15 p. 24)

"Certain success marks the steps that Jehovah God is taking even now to bring to mankind durable and happifying peace, security, and prosperity..." (W92 3/1 p. 9)

"Since Jehovah is the Source of all good and happifying things..." (W91 12/15 p. 8)

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Ok, I'll kill it.

My wife says I'm highly critical, and she's right.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I try not to ever let an opportunity to pimp Orwell's "Politics and the English Language" essay pass. Read it. Learn it. Live it.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm

• White Dove
    White Dove

Those high falootant words that know it alls like to use to impress people are no different than swear words used by red necked hicks.

It's ineffective, artless verbosity.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Simple, clear language is impressive for its clarity, not for its use of multisyllable words.

• chickpea
    chickpea

dont be getting all fancified with your word selections
    if you are in a written communication class....

you get your paper AND your ass handed to you
    with the droll commentary: this isn't creative
    writing...

snap

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit