Why People Believe Invisible Agents Control the World

by alice.in.wonderland 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

Any thoughts on the existence of invisible agents as a potent force in human affairs?

Why People Believe Invisible Agents Control the World

A Skeptic's take on souls, spirits, ghosts, gods, demons, angels, aliens and other invisible powers that be

Souls, spirits, ghosts, gods, demons, angels, aliens, intelligent designers, government conspirators, and all manner of invisible agents with power and intention are believed to haunt our world and control our lives. Why?

The answer has two parts, starting with the concept of “patternicity,” which I defined in my December 2008 column as the human tendency to find meaningful patterns in meaningless noise. Consider the face on Mars, the Virgin Mary on a grilled cheese sandwich, satanic messages in rock music. Of course, some patterns are real. Finding predictive patterns in changing weather, fruiting trees, migrating prey animals and hungry predators was central to the survival of Paleolithic hominids.

The problem is that we did not evolve a baloney-detection device in our brains to discriminate between true and false patterns. So we make two types of errors: a type I error, or false positive, is believing a pattern is real when it is not; a type II error, or false negative, is not believing a pattern is real when it is. If you believe that the rustle in the grass is a dangerous predator when it is just the wind (a type I error), you are more likely to survive than if you believe that the rustle in the grass is just the wind when it is a dangerous predator (a type II error). Because the cost of making a type I error is less than the cost of making a type II error and because there is no time for careful deliberation between patternicities in the split-second world of predator-prey interactions, natural selection would have favored those animals most likely to assume that all patterns are real. Continued...
    This here contains some plagiarism (plagiarism from the Watchtower CD is very common on the internet) from the 06/01/2007 Watchtower p. 4, “The Source of Evil Exposed!”

http://www.rense.com/general85/rootof.htm

The Root Of All Evil: Manipulating Order Out Of Fear

Not surprisingly, many have rejected what they consider to be wild, superstitious notions about the Devil. Even back in 1726, Daniel Defoe derided people's belief that the Devil was a frightful monster "with bat's wings, horns, cloven foot, long tail, forked tongue, and the like." Such ideas, he said, were "weak fancied trifles" manufactured by "devil-raisers and devil-makers" who "cheated the ignorant world with a devil of their own making."

Is that how you see things? Do you agree that "the devil is in reality man's invention to account for his own sinfulness"? That statement appears in The Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible, and many who profess to be Christians think that way. Christendom's theologians, says Jeffrey Burton Russell, have by and large "dismissed the Devil and the demons as superstitious relics."

Yet, to some people, the Devil is very real. They reason that there must be some kind of superhuman, malignant force behind the recurrent evils that pervade man's history. "The horrors that the twentieth century has produced," says Russell, provide one reason why "belief in the Devil, after a long lapse, is rapidly reappearing." According to author Don Lewis, a number of modern, educated people who "smile patronisingly" at the superstitious beliefs and fears of "their artless ancestors" are "once again becoming enthralled by the evil element in the supernatural." -Religious Superstition Through the Ages.

The Book of Genesis tells us that Lucifer induced other angels to join him in rebellion. Like he himself, these `Fallen Angels` took an improper and perverse sexual interest in humans with disastrous consequences.

Evil Fills the Earth. In Genesis 6:1,2 we read: "When men started to grow in numbers, and daughters were born to them, then the sons of God began to notice the daughters of men, that they were fair; and they went taking wives for themselves, namely, all whom they chose."

Who were those "sons of God"? The Bible refers to them as the Nephilim, the `Fallen Angels` who joined with Lucifer in rebellion against God. Having copulated with mortal women, they produced a race of hybrids who grew into giants, known in the scriptures as the `Anakim`. They are described as "the mighty ones who were of old, the men of renown" Genesis 6:4.

The Nephilim and their progyny took wickedness to new lows. "The earth came to be ruined in the sight of God and became filled with violence," Gensis 6:11. And it was not long before humanity adopted the violent, depraved ways of the newcomers in their midst.

How did these `Fallen Angels` and their offspring exert such a powerful evil influence on humans? By appealing to mankind's sinful inclination and desires. The result? "All flesh . ruined its way on the earth." Finally, God destroyed that world in a global Deluge, sparing only righteous Noah and his family. (Genesis 6:5, 12-22). The scriptures tell us that the incarnate angels returned to the heavens in disgrace. As debased demons, they continued to oppose God, and they have remained a potent force in human affairs.

Myths Legends or Hidden Truth. Stories about demigods, giants, and a cataclysmic flood are found in ancient mythologies worldwide. For example, the Akkadian Epic of Gilgamesh mentions a flood, a ship, and survivors. Gilgamesh himself was described as a lustful, violent demigod, or part god, part man. Aztec mythology tells of an ancient world inhabited by giants and of a great deluge. Norse legend describes a race of giants and a wise man named Bergelmir who constructed a large boat and saved himself and his wife. The combined testimony of all such legends corroborates the Bible's testimony that all humans have descended from the survivors of a deluge that destroyed an ancient wicked world.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I will only comment to say that the Watchtower Society has a strong vested interest in supporting the existence of so-called spirit creatures, specifically with respects to those in the Bible. Their premise is their conclusion, so there is no room for skepticism or debate. Why? To do so would mean a loss of control of the minds of those who financially support the organization. Their very survival as a corporate entity requires that they say whatever it takes to keep membership. In the face of modern science, archeology, and good Biblical Scholarship, they are being pushed into ever more dogmatic assertions based on a collection of scriptures in the Bible, some of which get taken out of context to support increasingly improbable doctrine (like "this generation").

Stories about demigods, giants, and a cataclysmic flood are found in ancient mythologies worldwide. For example, the Akkadian Epic of Gilgamesh mentions a flood, a ship, and survivors. Gilgamesh himself was described as a lustful, violent demigod, or part god, part man. Aztec mythology tells of an ancient world inhabited by giants and of a great deluge. Norse legend describes a race of giants and a wise man named Bergelmir who constructed a large boat and saved himself and his wife. The combined testimony of all such legends corroborates the Bible's testimony that all humans have descended from the survivors of a deluge that destroyed an ancient wicked world.

So, we're to believe other ancient legends support the truth of the Bible? How preposterous! They are just myths, and so is the Bible. The two flood accounts in Genesis were edited together after the Babylonian exile. They are even contradictory to each other, but most people hardly notice, just as they fail to notice many of the other edits in the Pentateuch. Do yourself a favor and read Who Wrote the Bible? by Richard Friedman. I really don't feel like going into a detailed explanation. If you can't be troubled to read at least that book, then that's all there is to it.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"So, we're to believe other ancient legends support the truth of the Bible? How preposterous! They are just myths, and so is the Bible."

When I first started participating on this website I at times copied from the Watchtower CD without citing the source, simply because I didn't want people to know I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses. They all know my religion now. I made the connections between Greek myths and the pre-Flood conditions found in Genesis:

The Bible Is Genuine History

it-1 p. 1001 Greece, Greeks

In considering the Greek myths, it is of interest to see how the Bible sheds light on their possible or even probable origin. As Genesis 6:1-13 shows, prior to the Flood, angelic sons of God came to earth, evidently materializing in human form, and cohabited with attractive women. They produced offspring who were called Nephilim, or Fellers, that is, “those who cause others to fall down.” The result of this unnatural union of spirit creatures with humans, and the hybrid race it produced, was an earth filled with immorality and violence. (Compare Jude 6; 1Pe 3:19, 20; 2Pe 2:4, 5;) Like others of the post-Flood times, Javan, the progenitor of the Greek people, undoubtedly heard the account of pre-Flood times and circumstances, likely from his father Japheth, a survivor of the Flood. Note, now, what the writings attributed to Homer and Hesiod reveal.

The numerous gods and goddesses they described had human form and great beauty, though often being gigantic and superhuman. They ate, drank, slept, had sexual intercourse among themselves or even with humans, lived as families, quarreled and fought, seduced and raped. Though supposedly holy and immortal, they were capable of any type of deceit and crime. They could move among mankind either visibly or invisibly. Later Greek writers and philosophers sought to purge the accounts of Homer and Hesiod of some of the more vile acts attributed to the gods.

These accounts may reflect, although in greatly expanded, embellished, and distorted form, the authentic account of pre-Flood conditions found in Genesis. A further remarkable correspondency is that, in addition to the principal gods, the Greek legends describe demigods or heroes who were of both divine and human descent. These demigods were of superhuman strength but were mortal (Hercules being the only one of them granted the privilege of attaining immortality). The demigods thus bear a marked similarity to the Nephilim in the Genesis account. Posted by Metropolis

Response:

These demigods weren't real. They were invented in the imaginations of unknown ancient Greeks, casting about blindly trying to come up with some magical explanation for themselves and everything around them. Just like the Jews, Babylonians, Assyrians, Romans, Egyptians, Chinese, Mayans, and every other civilization in the world. Therefore there's nothing "remarkable" about "gods" of both divine and human descent, any more that it's "remarkable" that somebody dreamed up Spider-Man 50 years ago. Posted by GiordanoBruno

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

So is this your opinion? What is your point in posting this? Is it something you are questioning or are looking for an answer? Very interesting articles that you copied, but I don't know what your point is that you are making or if you are asking a question. If you are looking for debate or thoughts on what we think maybe you could ask a thought provoking follow-up question to the articles...

I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. You're still "in", yet post on a known apostate site, are you looking for answers to some doubts you're having or trying to convert us back to slavery? Just curious Rachel.

Soldier

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

"Why people believe invisible agents control the world"

The same three reasons people believe other unsubstantiated things: authority, tradition, and revelation. They're either told that by someone in a supposed position to know, or they believe it because lots of other people believe it and have done so for a long time, or they have had or been told about experiences that seem supernatural and they don't know of any other explanation.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

When I first started participating on this website I at times copied from the Watchtower CD without citing the source, simply because I didn't want people to know I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses

so you are admitting to being a liar, just like reniaa?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

you have no interest in people's answers, just debating "bad apostates" and showing us "how we are evil"

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Alice,

Thank you for the very interesting article.

Although I have left the JWs, I still believe in the Bible. I think what makes it hard is for people to accept the existence of spirits or angels is that they are seen as purely mythological beings because of their association with the Bible. I think in reality, they are another form or life and are alien to this world.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

“so you are admitting to being a liar, just like reniaa?”

Being discreet about my beliefs on the internet doesn't make me a liar.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

You are not in the Kingdom Hall now. You ARE allowed to have an opinion here. It's freedom- take it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit