Did the new Tom Cruise "Day & Night" movie flop?

by JWoods 17 Replies latest social family

• JWoods
    JWoods

A lot of comments that it basically flopped. It came in only 3rd box office over the release weekend, grossed about 50 million.

It cost 45 million to make, (besides the big promo advertising campaign IIRC).

Film company execs are covering up by saying "we don't blame Tom Cruise" --- BUT ---

I wonder if the couch-jumping Scientology crazie-ness incidents (and some past bad flicks) have finally come home to roost?

• undercover
    undercover

I don't think it's so much the Scientology angle as it is that's he's just kinda gone loopy - unless it was the CoS that caused him to go loopy.

He's a good actor...with the right director. The best thing I've seen him in for a long time is "Collateral" directed by Michael Mann. He was great as the hit man.

But off-screen his persona hurts his cred as an actor.

I usually try not to care about an actor's personal life, politics, habits, fav sports teams. If they make good movies, then I appreciate it and will watch it. But now and then an actor will go so far off base that it even causes me to step back from wanting to see their pictures. Tom Cruise hasn't gone that far yet, but I do avoid any publicity about him aside from movies.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I liked some of his early movies. But he's so busy being TOM CRUISE now that he's forgetting to act when he's on camera.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Maybe everyone was saving their money to see Eclipse!

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse has broken a box-office record for movies debuting on a Wednesday, bringing in $68.5 million on June 30.

For its entire five-day opening weekend debut, the film is predicted to bring in $181.5 million in box office receipts, according to the Web site boxoffice.com.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

He`s made bad decisions..It shows in his life and his work..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I don't think it's so much the Scientology angle as it is that's he's just kinda gone loopy - unless it was the CoS that caused him to go loopy.

Maybe - but the CoS and the loopy sure seemed to coincide pretty much like one right after the other...

• undercover
    undercover

I think he might have been loopy before, just not expressive about it. Now with CoS giving him all those thetans and shit, he's just a happy guy...

• undercover
    undercover

And speaking of Twilight...

If you need to see sexy vampires and stuff, forget that tween romance stuff...watch TrueBlood on HBO. If you saw this past week's episode, one of the final scenes, the one between Bill and his 'maker', Lorena...you'll know that Twilight will never be able to top that...

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I'm hearing a ton of good word on True Blood, they look like the have a hit on their hands. I might have to give that a watch. I didn't know the Tom Cruise movie came out already, not that I was planning on seeing it. I'm sure they'll recoup considering worldwide sales, and DVD sales. It's probably tame enough where TNT or AMC will show it in the future right after showing The Fugitive for the billionth time. I''m wondering if The Last Airbender is going to flop. The reviews are scathing, and the Asian population is in a tizzy over the lack of Asian actors. If this movie bombs, M.Knight Shamalongadingdong career might be a wrap.

• Galileo
    Galileo

For me personally, Tom Cruise is the only actor that I refuse to give one dime to because of his personal beliefs. I find Scientology to be one of the vilest cults in existence. When I found out they sued the Cult Awareness Network into bankruptcy, than bought it, that was enough for me. Think about it: If someone calls the Cult Awareness Network looking for support in leaving the CoS, their call is answered by a Scientologist! I will never knowingly give money to a member of that group.

That isn't to say that I won't watch a movie with that freak in it. That's what Bittorrent is for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit