A sad thought

by dgp 17 Replies latest social current

• dgp
    dgp

Yesterday afternoon, the sad thought popped into my mind that, apparently, some witnesses could be made to believe anything provided it appears on the magazines. If they said that accepting blood is now OK, many would take transfusions, and that would sort of make sense. But if they also said that hell is a physical place after all, many would accept that, too. If the magazines brought the news that now you can associate with the disfellowshipped, then many zealous shunners would turn very friendly to everyone. It kind of leaves me the impression that, for some people, the entire faith is no more than obedience. Do as you're told. Don't question, don't think, don't allow yourself too much independence.

Maybe this is a mistaken impression. But I am sure that mere obedience is the idea that pervades the organization from top to bottom. What I mean is, all the leaders, from the governing body down, only expect everyone else to take orders. What those orders are is a secondary matter.

Maybe this will not be news at all to you guys, but, after all, I'm the worldly trying to catch up.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

You've got it.

• JediMaster
    JediMaster

It's all new "light".

Jedi Master

• ambersun
    ambersun

It kind of leaves me the impression that, for some people, the entire faith is no more than obedience. Do as you're told. Don't question, don't think, don't allow yourself too much independence.

Maybe this is a mistaken impression. But I am sure that mere obedience is the idea that pervades the organization from top to bottom. What I mean is, all the leaders, from the governing body down, only expect everyone else to take orders. What those orders are is a secondary matter.

Your observations are spot on dgp.

It's not just sad but very, very scary. If they are told to jump, the only question they need to ask is "how high?"

Obedience without question to the GB is everything.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    If the magazines brought the news that now you can associate with the disfellowshipped, then many zealous shunners would turn very friendly to everyone.

They actually did this (in a somewhat limited way) in the later 1970s when they wanted to get disfellowshipped people back in to make up losses for the many who quit after 1975 failed.

And, of course, the rank & file went along without a word - just like DGP suggests.

It was later changed back to an ultra-hard line after they got afraid of apostacy - post Ray Franz et al...

And, of course, the rank & file went along without a word - just like DGP suggests.

Is it any surprise that they have now put up with at least three revisions of the ridiculous "1914 generation" issue without question? That they have observed the numbers partaking of the emblems go UP instead of DOWN without question?

• superpunk
    superpunk

Somehow they trained us not to use our brains.

"Meditate and use your thinking abilities" meant "Look up tough to answer questions in the WT Library and unquestioningly accept those answers". We never noticed, until we noticed, then we left.

You're right, they could tell them anything and most of them would buy it, either willingly or under threat of reprisal and punishment. And that is a very frightening thing....although the WTS seems to me to continually become more mainstream, so there is probably nothing overly sinister to worry about.

• glenster
    glenster

The plus is that the obedience is partly and importantly for the distinctive
    rules meant by the GB to establish that they're the chosen few leaders of a
    literal 144,000, and it can be shown evidentally what methods they use to feign
    that exclusiveness. Faith is a possible God doesn't have to waste time on the
    known wrong, esp. if anyone is hurt or killed over it. The vanity of the GB
    leaders isn't worth it.
    http://glenster1.webs.com/gtjbrooklynindex.htm

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I wouldn't say that all the Witnesses would believe everything they were told by the WTBS; maybe they are just resigned to living with two opposing viewpoints at the same time: the reality they see around them, and what the WTBS tells them is reality.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

A good Jehovah's Witness believes in one thing only - the sayings of the self-identified Slave Class.

Once you realise this, the whole thing collapses.

The society could come out tomorrow with a "Why you should believe the trinity" brouchure and 7 million witnesses would have to agree with it or risk disfellowshipping.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

CS Lewis talks about this kind of mental conflict in "The Screwtape Letters" - That some people are able to live double lives because they have learned how to live with several contradictory ideas rattling around in their head at the same time.

I know witlesses, who belive in the ice ages, even though that conflicts with the borgs teachings on the pre flood climate.

You can go on and on....

There are even the contradictions in the litterature.

At the DC in 1988 the Insight Volumes were released, saying the men of Sodom will be resurrected. At the same DC the revised live Forever book was released saying they will NOT get a resurrection.

These fools dont know their ass from their elbow, yet claim that following their orders is following Christ.

Sheesh!!

HB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit