Anyone remember this illustration?

by Soldier77 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Many other Christian groups use this illustration per a brief google. I would which came first the chicken or the egg?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It's a good illustration to use on Dubs who try to explain away Borg evil with expressions like "they're imperfect men" "it's a minor issue and they have most things right" "wait on Jehovah; he will fix it" etc. You can say, "I am sure you have heard this illustration from the platform...(relate the illustration). Which is worse, for one to make no claims about being clean and yet to have poison or for one to claim being God's pure organization and to have poison?"

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Awesome conversation Mad Sweeney, another one to remember to use.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

the burning bldg is just about the preaching work being the same as rescuing people from a burning bldg and the starfish is about someone throwing stranded starfish back in the sea & someone questioning them because they can't save them all & their response is how it matters to the few they manage to save as if a couple of saves is better than nothing.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Yes I too remember the oft-used illustration. I thought it a very good one until I realised that EVERY Christian religion's 'cup' - WTS/JWs included - was likely tainted with varying degrees of doctrinal 'poison' (from perhaps a drop or two up to a deadly blend) and the WTS/JWs had perhaps more drops of 'poison' than others! (cp. 1 Cor. 13:9-12)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can think of many poisons that we commonly drink "a drop" with the water. Fluoride anyone? Most of us have fluoridated water. Chlorine is another. We drink chlorine--the active ingredient in bleach--and most of us are still alive. By the same token, if we were to get real spiritual "food" that is contaminated with a little falsehood, chances are good that we would see it in the "Well, it is at least 85% value, even with its faults" category.

However, with the Washtowel Slaveholdery, you are getting more like a drop of water in your glass of poison. It has absolutely nothing of value, aside the scripture you might read that happens to apply or that it might get the odd person off the couch and at least getting a little exercise and less time to eat potato chips and pizza. However, you are not being taught anything that is going to help you or society, and you are wasting your whole life doing nothing but creating stagnation. For sure, the illustration fits backwards.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

The starfish one I like. It can be likened to supporting a charitable cause, or just on a personal level trying to better the world situation. Of course the worlds' problems are so numerous that it is easy to be discouraged and not think that a single person can have any kind of impact. For the starfish that do make it back into the ocean, that one person's efforts mean something. It's just that the WT takes the good message of that illustration and perverts it say the "preaching" work/converting people is like throwing the starfish back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit