Everyone: Be sure to SAVE any pre 1950 WT books/magazines you have

by EndofMysteries 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I mention this in a diff thread for a reason of a question I asked, but feel it's important for all to see and know. 1950 and prior, we have the watchtower library. So SAVE your CD's, that's authentic evidence for the future. What is NOT on the CD, even though we have scanned copies, when the day comes when because of the computer and internet, most if not all old WT books are gone, then it will be all to easy for claims to be made the 'apostates' are showing photoshooped or edited scans. It's been almost 130 years since 1874, very few older books left.

Let's not let history be erased, especially when people are being misled. If you have any older books/magazines, put them in a box and away. Make sure if you ever give them away, it's to someone who knows the importance of preserving them, and will do the same.

Outside of JW/WT, you can see with everything in general, how history can become rumor/legend after 100+ years, when authentic originals are gone.

• carla
    carla

You can find many in second hand stores, Goodwill, St. Vincent De Paul, etc..... in fact we were just in one recently and luckily I turned the whole damn pile of those evil books so you couldn't read what they were before my jw saw them and ruined the day!

I know many find book burning parties therapy but if you can, see if Freeminds or other anti cult places may want them. You can count them in your year end tax donations, I have no idea of the value but I know you can take clothing & furniture.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

I'm relieved to see posts like this.

I'm in the process of securing a grant to start the first major university collection of WTBTS material, to be used by researchers in order to both a) understand the WTBTS and b) understand NRMs in general and how they grow/thrive. This will give us a centralized location for these texts in order to make sure they survive, without doctoring by the JWs. (Something to think about: Everyone trusts the CD-ROMs, but should we really be doing that?)

Burning books or taking them to the landfill might give you catharsis, but I think it would feel even better to box them up and ship them off to be made public so that everyone else can see once and for all what was said. To me, that would be the ultimate revenge, not burning away all the evidence.

(And if anyone ever wants to get rid of books, let me know. Hopefully, I'll have a website up soon to start collecting book donations. Just waiting on approval from my institution.)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    easy for claims to be made the 'apostates' are showing photoshooped or edited scans

Challenge them. Remind them of what an ass you and your fellow detractors will look like if they can produce an original that proves you have a photoshopped copy.

You have provided a copy of evidence published in their literature. They are making the claim it is photoshopped so it is up to them to prove that their literature doesn't say that. They could even say you have a counterfeit if you produced an original, so they have produce a copy that they know is kosher. If their library is empty, that is their problem as they have no way to prove their assertion.

• carla
    carla

They will go to extreme lengths saying that any scans and even copies purchased through an anti cult org are fakes! I once had to offer to have the paper and ink tested at a lab with an elder/ms (?) and split the cost! that last part got him, he must have been a cheapskate and didn't want to dish out hundreds of dollars to actually have it done. I would of had he pressed it. whackos

• besty
    besty

what point was he trying so hard to deny carla?

• besty
    besty

Jerry Bergman wrote a fascinating account of Watchtower and Watchtower-related books in academic libraries. Many cases of vandalism have been reported....

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/publications/jerry-bergman-on-jehovah-s-witnesses-removing-his-library-books.html

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Jerry Bergman wrote a fascinating account of Watchtower and Watchtower-related books in academic libraries. Many cases of vandalism have been reported....

That's why you don't put those books on open stacks. With closed collections, you have to a) demonstrate to the chief archivist through a formal application why you require access (usually restricted to Master's/PhD candidates only) and b) be supervised in your use of them. This is also why a central collection is important. Having books scattered all over the country, especially through open-stack arrangements, is just asking for trouble and ensuring that we lose more and more each year.

It looks like he's trying to expand the holdings at Princeton. That's a good thing, but unfortunately, there are no active JW scholars at Princeton to my knowledge. It would be great to have a separate collection at a university with an established faculty on the subject, which is what I'm working on. The more collections, the better!

• tec
    tec

I've kept all my stuff (even though I realize its only from a few years past), but I have the revelation book, the reasoning from the scriptures books, the what does the bible really teach book, and a ton of magazines. They're all neatly boxed up. I keep them, because in 10/20/30 years, I'll have the originals of what they said, if they change things and say they didn't say it.

It's no skin off my back to keep them. And I appreciated those people who kept scans and showed them for the same reasons.

Tammy

(I actually think my reasoning from the scripture books and the revelation book contradict each other on the topic of sodom and gomorah's resurrection. I'd have to look through them to remember, though)

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Challenge them. Remind them of what an ass you and your fellow detractors will look like if they can produce an original that proves you have a photoshopped copy.

You have provided a copy of evidence published in their literature. They are making the claim it is photoshopped so it is up to them to prove that their literature doesn't say that. They could even say you have a counterfeit if you produced an original, so they have produce a copy that they know is kosher. If their library is empty, that is their problem as they have no way to prove their assertion.

I have issued that challenge several times. When I quoted something unfavorable from my copies I had my dubs claim it was fake. I told them to prove it, go to the assembly hall library and get me copies of the original, and if they can prove mine is fake I will destroy it. If they do not prove mine false I will assume it is correct and go with it. They have never falsified any of my material.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit