Atheists Against Abortion?

by AK - Jeff 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

http://objectivewriting.blogspot.com/2007/09/atheist-stand-against-abortion.html

Thoughts that somewhat parallel mine on this subject. Rational thought and rejection of creationism might not automatically place one in a particular stance on every issue, and may result in somewhat odd positions, compared to the stereotypical ones. Such positions have garnered me the label of centrist a time or two, a tag that I don't cast aside, but gently consider.

This blog is worthy of a bit of thought I believe. Share those thoughts if you are so moved.

Jeff

• changeling
    changeling

I'm an atheist. I'm pro-choice because I will not pretend to walk in another woman's shoes and have the right to make descisions for her...but...I would never have nor recommend an abortion.

I am against late term abortion unless the mother's life is on the line.

I am against using abortion as birth control. We have many effective BC methods that are easily avialable: use them.

Abortion should be a measure of last resort, when a woman feels she has no other alternative. I will not stand in judment of another woman and her choice. Only she knows when her situation is too difficult to carry and bear a child.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I'm an atheist and I would never recommend or consider an abortion for anyone I know, but I am pro choice as I'd rather have legal professionals available to safely perform abortions instead of trying to do it yourself with a coat hanger wire.

• changeling
    changeling

I'm sure you know this AKJeff, but some may confuse being pro-choice with being pro-abortion (I've argued this on this forum before).

The two are completly different stands.

• dgp
    dgp

I am against late term abortion unless the mother's life is on the line.

I am against using abortion as birth control. We have many effective BC methods that are easily avialable: use them.

Abortion should be a measure of last resort, when a woman feels she has no other alternative.

I'm an atheist and I agree. Of course it always looks bad on a man to give an opinion about abortion.

I don't think being an atheist should automatically mean that your ideas on a given matter can be predicted instantly.

• Elgiard
    Elgiard

I consider myself agnostic more than anything else, and never really got why abortion is any more a religious issue than any other kind of manslaughter. I believe that it's only okay to kill another human to save yourself. For everybody. I think we also do a lot of irrational tip-toeing around people's feelings on this issue too. Like being against it and thinking that it's wrong, but still wanting people to have the choice to do it anyway, or claiming that only a woman is qualified to make that decision. Before I was a man I was a human. I've never been a conjoined twin, but I feel totally fine in saying that it's wrong for one to choose to kill the other just because it no longer wants the other one attached to its body. I'm sure an unwanted pregnancy sucks and all, but those are the cards you're dealt, ya know? I've been in lots of situations where killing someone would make my problems go away

Cliffs:

1) I think killing someone else is always wrong for everybody, unless it's to save your own life.

2) I think that killing someone inside a woman's uterus doesn't magically make it okay. Ever.

3) I don't think you have to be anybody special to have an opinion on what's wrong for everybody.

4) What jesus has to do with any of this remains a mystery to me.

Thanks.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Interesting thoughts. Thanx for expressing them.

My 'worldview' has been a roller coaster for me. I keep coming across 'issues' that demand my attention internally. I seek to avoid falling into a label as far as my opinions go. Part of the process is seeing how others have reasoned on these subjects.

Peace/Namaste

Jeff

• Caedes
    Caedes

I am also pro-choice, for nothing other than pragmatic reasons, better that it be available legally and controlled than done in back alley clinics by criminals. Being pro-choice doesn't mean of course that I think abortion is somehow a great idea. It's a terrible choice between a rock and a hard place. I don't feel that morally I can justify effectively making that choice for someone else.

It would of course be great if no one ever needed one again, until then...

• Scully
    Scully

I'm pro-choice. What that means to me is that (a) abortion should be accessible; (b) I should do my best to reserve judgement on someone else's choices; (c) while I wouldn't choose it for myself, I don't have the right to impose my choice on another person.

Having said that, it bothers me a lot when abortion is utilized as a birth control measure, except when it involves rape, sexual abuse or genetic anomalies that make the fetus non-viable. This is the 21st century, and such being the case, no female capable of consenting to sexual activity should be consenting to unprotected sexual activity unless she accepts the fact and the responsibility that pregnancy is the natural outcome of such unprotected sexual activity. Abortion is not accepting responsibility for that consensual sexual activity. C'mon girls, taking a pill every day is not that hard!! Rolling on a condom is not a high mastery level skill. A month's supply of pills or a package of condoms costs less than a package of cigarettes! And they sure as hell cost less than 18 years worth of child rearing.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Driving away from my hospital 2 days ago there were about 10 people and a vicar quietly campaigning against abortion - their placards read "every heart has a beat". I'm not sure if this was a response to the report out that day about research into foetuses below 24 weeks not feeling pain due to certain connections in their brain not being formed.

So many arguments for and against so each case on it's merits is an interesting theory. Despite education and ease of access to many forms of contraception, the "last resort" of abortion is arrived at way too often. Not that it's an easy option - I doubt many quite know what's involved or wouldn't have taken different actions in the first place if they could.

I don't believe in life above everything else but I won't ever tell anyone else what to think or do.

MMXIV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit