Selfishness, Greed and Hate run the world, can selflessness, generosity, and love overpower?

by EndofMysteries 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• zoiks
    zoiks

Where I happen to live, I am surrounded by people who take every opportunity to make a positive impact, large or small. I understand the negative world view that many have, but I am fortunate...perhaps.

On a side note, and not to derail the thread, the state in which I live happens to have one of the highest proportions of atheists in the U.S., one of the lowest crime rates, and is consistently rated as one of the best and healthiest places to live in this particular country. Of course there is greed and corruption everywhere, but every day I see the positive effects of people putting forth their best effort to be selfless, generous, and loving.

It's really nice.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Cannot disagree with zoiks. I think it is important to be a positive influence for for peace and kindness in your family and community. (Too bad my fam can't get past politics) But the thread opening seems to be addressing the entire world community in the "why can't we all just get along" concept. Big difference. You can get hurt real bad walking down a dark alley holding a flower with a big smile on your face. Impossible to get the whole world on the same page. Too many bad people with guns and explosives and hateful religions.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear EndofMysteries...

to answer your question...yes! I think so...God is awesome!...in a scary world...

dear Terry...

,...you love me...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_DDOppAvkM

love michelle

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Zoiks -

Do you live in Vermont?

HB

• zoiks
    zoiks

Hi Hamsterbait, you have a PM.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Gregor - I don't disagree with you, either. My observation is that positive change starts at a local, grassroots level - in my experience. But the answer to the question posed by Endofmysteries is elusive.

Selfishness, greed, corruption, and hate are everywhere. And many bad things are not only a result of these traits, but of the absolute despair that many experience as a result of them. People living lives of despair, squalor, and extreme poverty often have neither the energy nor the resources to stand up and try to effect positive change. They may often be driven to hatred themselves.

I don't know the answer to the initial question. But I do know that people with the opportunity and desire to make change can and will do just that.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Awesome Post Terry!

I think survival is a natural instinct. As an instinct survival has to be selfish. You have to look out for yourself first then the closer ones to you. Someone who is selfish is just following a natural and very understandable desire to look out for himself. However kindness is a trait of a higher thinking ability. It is when we look out for the well being of others in spite of our own that we are actually countering acting evolutionary traits.

I think that selfishness is natural, Kindness the opposite. Kindness is a choice and the more we ponder on our choices and select the ones that benefit us as a group for a better the things we can achieve.

I wonder if this need to work together as a group is also another evolutionary trait :-) maybe then kindness is natural after all. haha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit