ok so your planes crashing towards earth... do you pray?

by highdose 24 Replies latest jw friends

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

"According to a survey, 20% of the Atheists prays from time to time."

Yeah, but I'm not sure that prayers to Satan, Eris, and Wotan are quite what most people have in mind when they hear that factoid. :-)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`d order a Beer,a Triple scotch and get a window seat..

Not every forced landing ends in disaster..I`ve been lucky so far..

............................. ...OUTLAW

• undercover
    undercover

If I'm the pilot, I'm going to fight that thing all the way down. Praying ain't gonna do shit.

If I'm a passenger, then I'm gonna power up the cell phone, hope that it works and call my wife for the last time. The odds of her answering the phone over a god answering a prayer is infinitely greater.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Nope, didn't help people on 9/11, or any other time there was a fatal crash. I'd probably be making out with the person next to me, why not? That would be better use of my time and energy.

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

"I'd probably be making out with the person next to me, why not? That would be better use of my time and energy."

What an awesome existential choice! :-)

I'd probably actually be cursing G/god(s) all the way down rather than praying. ;-)

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    How well did it work on 9/11???

For who, the passengers or the hijackers?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Those last few remaining moments would be much better spent in discouraging other passengers from praying.

W

• beksbks
    beksbks
    If I'm a passenger, then I'm gonna power up the cell phone, hope that it works and call my wife for the last time

That's exactly what I think too UC. What's your wife's number?

Noo! My first thought is that I must speak to my children.

Actually, I had a scare a few weeks ago. We left Kona for LA at 9pm, and about 30 minutes in the Captain came on to tell us that we had lost hydraulics on one side of the plane (I don't really know what that means, but it didn't sound good), and could not go on so we would be landing in Honolulu. He came on several times to update us on what would happen when we landed, and that all was well, although we should expect to see emergency vehicles, and we were going to land on an extra long runway away from the bulk of the other runways, and be towed in to the airport. I thought surely everything is fine, he's calm he's telling us not to worry. Then I thought, what would he say if we were screwed?? Anyway, I was in a window seat and it was dark. At one point in our decent, I looked out and my eyes played tricks on me, it looked like the land was far far closer than it should be (or actually was). I just closed my eyes and held my breath and buried my face in my husbands shoulder waiting for impact.

• crownboy
    crownboy

Like your thinking serenity .

This reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Brian (an atheist) thought the world was going to get destroyed by an asteroid and was caught praying by the baby and was called out by him for being a hypocrite (yes, a talking baby for those who've never seen the show).

I very much doubt I would pray in that scenario. Freak out maybe, but not pray.

• Denial

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit