Political Neutrality: Required for Servants of God?

by leavingwt 31 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

miseryloveselders -- I enjoyed your points about thinking for yourself, rather than just being a naked partisan. Specifically, will you vote in the future? Or, is that a decision you haven't made, yet?

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

leavingwt..Interesting questions here...before my involvement in the Org I suppose I would put myself on the side of the 'working classes'...and wanted to make a difference if I could...since leaving and meeting my husband my interest in renewed...he is a very political animal and currently doing a dissertation on the Miners Strike of 84/5 here in UK under Thatcher's iron rule....

I kind of feel that if we are to be in subjection to the Superior Authorities then when given the chance we should voice our preference for our ruling government...?? And I hate oppression of any kind ...and moreso now since the experience of the Org...

Loz x

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Lozhasleft:

I kind of feel that if we are to be in subjection to the Superior Authorities then when given the chance we should voice our preference for our ruling government...?? And I hate oppression of any kind ...and moreso now since the experience of the Org...

Interesting. The JWs seem to the view 'The Government' as 'Satan's Government' more than some other Christian groups. Many of my Christian friends view it as either blessed by God or God's minister, when it acts in harmony with their beliefs. They do not, however, view it as "a part of Satan's system of things" like the JWs do.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LWT..

I can`t be bothered to get into political discussions..

You vote someone in..

They do what they want and there's not a dam thing you can do about it..

Arguing with someone else who can`t do anything,is ridiculous..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    You vote someone in..
    They do what they want and there's not a dam thing you can do about it..
    Arguing with someone else who can`t do anything,is ridiculous..

Yep. I like that.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I enjoyed your points about thinking for yourself, rather than just being a naked partisan. Specifically, will you vote in the future? Or, is that a decision you haven't made, yet?

I won't vote in the future. This might sound cliche', but I really do believe your vote doesn't matter. Special Interests, well established families, and complacent non-thinking people have this country on lock. To illustrate, W.Bush and his people were going to start a war regardless of how any of us felt about it. You can't even call that politics because nothing was ever debated. They knew what they were going to do regardless if the populace was on board or not. Some people were intelligent enough to do the research or know their history and see there was no correlation between 9/11 and Iraq. However the rest of the country is so complacent that the few sensible voices got drowned out by the mass of stupidity that we see in the likes of posters like J-Crock. So at that point I ask myself, if this many people are that gullible and stupid, then why bother voting? If that many people are complacent, and happy being that way, then let the will of the majority take place. To hell with expressing my views through a symbolic vote. I know some people still talk that, "people have died for your freedom" nonsense. How is it a freedom, when my vote doesnt matter anyway? Its similar to prisoners who are doing life who get upset at the guards and have a hunger strike. What do they really expect to accomplish? Its the same way with voting.

Lozhasleft, good point. Never really examined it from that angle.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Political Neutrality: Required for Servants of God?

This doesn't apply to me. I always take God's side, or rather, He takes mine.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

miseryloveselders -- Thank you for those details. I agree with some of what you've said, in regards to national elections. What about local elections? (City Council, Mayor, etc.)

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I do not agree Christians need to be politically neutral. We live in this world now. John the Baptist seemed to have no problem with soldiers who came to himt o find out what they needed to do- he told them to not extort and be content with their wages, that indicates they were to continue as soldiers. Joseph was directly used by God in a position of political authority.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

bttt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit