What is a Plausible Naturalistic Explanation for the Origin of Christianity?

by leavingwt 33 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I would be interested in reading your answers to this question.

A recent post a John W. Loftus' blog got me to thinking about this topic. In the post, Loftus tells us that he asked Victor Reppert would it would take for him to give up Chrstianity. Reppert responded to him, saying, ". . .the skeptic, in my opinion, has not provided, nor has come close to providing, namely, a plausible naturalistic story about the founding of Christianity."

What is a Plausible Naturalistic Explanation for the Origin of Christianity?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

What is Naturalistic ?

• leavingwt
  • bohm
    bohm

This question is an example of shifting the burden of evidence. First the christian should give an answer to the same question but with "christianity" substituted with "buddism, Islam, ...".

After he has done that i will happily give him an answer.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

No true believer type christian would accept ANY argument against christianity; his definition of plausible exludes any explanation that denies Jesus as the Christ.

My response would be to read Burton L Mack, Elaine Pagels, John Dominic Crossan and Bart Ehrman.

The rise of christianity happened over centuries, and is completely understandable by naturalistic, plausible means.

It parallels the rise of other belief systems; it looks solid from our time; we are very far removed from the early power struggles.

It helps to compare it to what was around before, during and after the time Jesus lived.

P

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Thanks LWt,

Well I guess an naturalistic explanation would be that Christianity was a natural evolution of thought when Judaisim, which was not working, met Greek thought, which appealed to many.

Christianities views on love, acceptance and tolerance of others was something that appealed not only to thos emost in need of that message, but one can argue that it also appealed to those more "enlightened" and that view their fellow man as just that, a fellow man regardless of class or status.

Because it didn't ask that normal social classes be abolidhed per se,, even though it said that ALL were equal, slave and master, it appealed to the "intellectual" and still kept him in "power", for awhiel anyways.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    After he has done that i will happily give him an answer.

I hear you. You may enjoy the Recommended Reading List that Loftus offers in his post. Check it out. You've probably read some of the titles.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I am curious, does John list any books that refute his views?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I am curious, does John list any books that refute his views?

Take a look at the comments left on that post for some responses on that.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Have you ever read The Passover Plot? As good an explanation as any...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passover_Plot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit