I'm asking for a book suggestion

by Scarred for life 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Recently, someone on here(I can't remember who) suggested the book, "Who Wrote the Bible?". I ordered it from Amazon and my husband has read it and loved it. It dealt mostly with the Old Testament. And my husband was wondering if there is a similar book about the New Testament and how the whole Bible was put together and how it was decided what writings were included.

Any suggestions?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I'd be interested in those suggestions too. I copped Who Wrote The Bible as well. Good read.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Which copy of Who Wrote the Bible did you get? There are two by two different authors. To which author are you referring?

StAnn

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I recommended Who Wrote The Bible by Richard Elliot Friedman a few days ago on here. I don't know of a book that covers that new testament entirely, but "History of the End of the World" by Jonathon Kirsch covers the book of revelation quite well. It's quite a thought-provoking read. I recommend it. It discusses Revelation from the time it was written until today, and all the hundreds/thousands of interpretations that people have come up with, and how all those people are dead now and the world is still alive and kicking.

-mentallyfree31-

• wobble
    wobble

"The Bible - a biography" by Karen Armstrong.

An excellent read, very well researched, it not only deals with how it came about, but with how it has been interpreted down the centuries, very illuminating. A "Must Read"

• behemot
  • zoiks
    zoiks

I've heard that "Misquoting Jesus" is also very good, but I have yet to check it out. "Who Wrote the Bible?" by Friedman was excellent.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

"A History of the End of the World" deals with the book of Revelation and how it has been received and interpreted throughout the centuries. I've read parts of it and it's good.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Arthur Weigall's Paganism in Our Christianity is good too.

Handy to have on your bookshelf if a Dubbie offers you a Trinity brochure as it quotes it.

Cheers

Chris

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

St Ann, I was talking about the one authored by Friedman.

My hubby has never been a JW.

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I have ordered several of these.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit