Today's Drama

by 5thGeneration 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Went to the Convention today.

Don't know if this was posted on but one thing bugged me above and beyond.

It was how the drama interjected modern day theocratic terms.

'The Elders want the brothers to leave Jerusalem...'

'I just got back from preaching and so-and-so wants to start coming to the meetings...'

Really disingenuous.

• blondie
    blondie

Someone else posted that they talked about time slips and turning time in during the 1st century. Did you hear that too?

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

No. It didn't go that far.

• changeling
    changeling

Same type of thing disturbed me about the Timothy drama a few years ago (Last DC I attended). They took some known biblical characters and placed them in a made up scenario. I don't recall hearing a disclaimer saying, "this is not really in the Bible". In fact, in discussing it with a witness friend, she actually thought it was.

Was a disclaimer made regarding this year's drama?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

There was a disclaimer. And the usual awful overacting.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

The dramas always are a total turn off and genrally viewed with embarrasment here in the UK. THEY ARE LAUGHED AT FFS!!

No offence to the Americans here intended, .... but having badly acted US accents blaring out across the City just sends the WRONG kind of message to anyone able to hear it. People say you are an American religion and err that kind of proves their point me thinks. It's too corny, too dumbed down and seems only to serve to give the kids something to remember from the DA.

Can you spell (or smell for that matter) PROPAGANDA?! I can smell it from miles away these days... Matching 1st century Christianity with todays GB and procedures is all about CONTROL and OBEDIENCE.

Cheers

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

I will be attending in a few weeks and will take special note. Thanks for the heads up. :)

• drzhivago73
    drzhivago73

At mine this week-end, they mentionned the congregation reports. How attendance was up and fiel service hours was on the increase. As well, they also used the line 'I just got back from preaching and so-and-so wants to start coming to the meetings...'

More and more the dramas are really getting annoying. What's the point anyways?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Is that it? Telling people they are not doing enough? I suppose they are going to have a drama about 99 out of 100 pio-sneering in the congregation, and the hounder-hounder threatening the congregation with everyone getting destroyed unless they make it 100 out of 100.

And, I intend to be the one that will not pio-sneer.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I always thought the dramas were caricatures and the acting was seriously over-the-top. The lessons they were trying to convey may as well have been draped over the rafters. It was about the closest thing to watching a movie that you got during the convention, so...you accepted it. Sure beats listening to talks. Nice way to eat up the time, if you ask me.

That, and...you were somebody special if you were in the drama. You were a celebrity for a day. Fake beard, sandals, and all. And there were bound to be those who wanted to score with the hot Moabite women. Okay, never mind that...

But I think someone pointed this out in another thread, that surely the warning Jesus gave about Jerusalem, which was fulfilled 37 years later, cannot be compared to 131 years of crying "Wolf!" for this date and that date, and this generation and the people whose lives overlapped this generation. Huge, huge difference. This has been going on for longer than Noah had to build the ark. And, well, there is the other matter of the 1,846 years that have also gone by in the meantime, before the WT showed up....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit