Idolatry Redux--"Where else shall we go?" in 9/15/10 WT

by sd-7 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

JWoods, I have been pondering the same thing. I honestly don't know if the Borg is REALLY getting worse or if having my eyes opened makes it SEEM so and they were just as bad all along.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

isaacaustin, great illustration. I now have an answer to that question when my family says it again.

Them, "Where else are we going to go?"

Me, "If your house was on fire and you and your family are in that house, do you stop and think, where are we going to go? Where are we going to stay? No! You gather your family and get the hell out of the burning house! That's what the organization is, a house on fire. It's time to get out now and worry about the safety of your family."

I haven't read this issue yet, but I think I'm along the lines of what Mad Sweeney said, maybe its always been this blatant but now that our eyes are opened, it seems to be ridiculously obvious and frequent.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Hmm. Twenty years ago, the October 1, 1990 Watchtower had an article: "Do You Follow Instructions?" After some information about the family head arrangement, came the following:

In the Congregation

We should follow the instructions that the Head of the Christian congregation, Jesus Christ, gives through “the faithful and discreet slave,” the appointed channel of God’s organization here on earth. (Matthew 24:45-47; Ephesians 5:23) In order to have peace and unity in the congregation, all its members must act in harmony with the guidance given. For instance, those taking the lead in teaching the congregation and in helping other people need to stick to the directions they receive from Jehovah’s organization. This will contribute to the effectiveness of their work. The instructions may be on how to share in the preaching activity, how to deal with problems in the congregation, how to give counsel and encouragement, how to comfort afflicted ones, and so forth. There are also directives on how to prepare instructive and upbuilding meetings for all who associate with the Christian congregation.—Acts 20:20; Romans 12:6-8; Galatians 6:1; 1 Thessalonians 3:1-3.

Congregation elders, or overseers, especially should set a good example in this regard. The Governing Body sends out instructions that the elders should follow carefully and faithfully. They should adapt and apply the instructions to local circumstances. We must keep in mind that the one who directs the Christian congregation is Jesus Christ. He discerns perfectly the needs of all the congregations around the world, and he provides the needed encouragement and assistance. Therefore, elders should not hesitate to apply any directions they receive from God’s theocratic organization. This will serve as a fine example for all in each congregation and will help them to be united among themselves and with the rest of the Christian brotherhood around the earth.—Acts 15:1-31; Hebrews 13:7; Revelation 5:6.

Joyful Results

When a builder erects a large building, he carefully follows the plans of the architects so that what he builds will last. In the violent days before the Flood, Noah was commissioned to build an ark. He was told how to construct it and which humans and animals to bring into it for survival through the coming Flood. How did Noah respond? The Bible says: “Noah proceeded to do according to all that God had commanded him. He did just so.” Only Noah and those who were with him in the ark survived the Flood. (Genesis 6:5, 13-22; 7:23) Today, we are living in times that are very similar to Noah’s day, and for this reason God will wipe out all the wicked people. The Bible tells us what steps we must take if we want to be among the survivors.—Matthew 24:37-39; 2 Peter 3:5-7, 11.

Therefore, let us receive with appreciation and put into practice the instructions Jehovah gives through his written Word and his earthly organization. Doing this will bring us success and joy and will also save our lives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit