How long did the Watchtower Society's campaign against aluminium last?

by slimboyfat 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JWoods
    JWoods

Just thinking about it, has anybody ever seen a non-stick (teflon) pan that was not coated aluminum? I don't believe I have -

Double whammy for the WT holdovers on aluminum - that teflon contains fluorine!

BTW, that '87 "watching the world" is news to me, but is way after my JW time. But it is so typical of "watching the world" - I think they let some junior writers do that column and just pick and choose nutbar stuff from other papers to put in there. This would give them the out that they did not exactly write it themselves, but it would not be the first time that something way off base found its way into the Awake in "watching the world".

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Checkout Greenpans. They are non-stick and don't use teflon. They also don't outgas harmful vapors and are eco-friendly. Plus their non-stickyness is amazing.

http://www.green-pan.com/cookware/list.asp?Lid=9&pnav=;4;

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The irony is that if the writers of the WT had a college education that included a course on logic, if they had developed the ability to study and review multiple documents about any given subject, they would never have held onto junk science like anti-aluminum, anti-vaccine and of course the grand daddy of junk science, creationism.

I had a sister in my hall growing up was CONVINCED her husband died from cancer because she had cooked with aluminum; she was maybe in her 20's or 30's when the WT was in full anti-aluminum frenzy.

P

• minimus
    minimus

The 1987 "Aluminum Alert" from AWAKE! is a subtle reminder that the Watchtower probably was right all along.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    The 1987 "Aluminum Alert" from AWAKE! is a subtle reminder that the Watchtower probably was right all along.

You know what? Considering Global Warming, the Oil Spill, the fact that I am going to be 61 this year, and the end of the Mayan Calender in 2012 - I don't care. And I have other things to spend my money on rather than buying new pots and pans.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

You think they'd be supporting something that encouraged mental malfunction, not opposing it wouldn't you?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Clayton Woodworth died in 1951 and he had been sick for some time before that. I would guess that the Watchtower campaign against aluminum declined significantly when he ceased his work as the editor of the second magazine, probably when the magazine changed its name to Awake! in 1946. Also, Charles Truax Betts died on December 19, 1959, and much of ideas on aluminum published in the magazines were his own.

I just searched through the 1949 Awake! and found 41 mentions of aluminum. There was an article in the August 8, 1949 issue on Dr. Betts and aluminum poisoning ("Inside Story About Aluminum"). There were at least 15 mentions in the 1950 Awake! (with only one allusion to misuse of aluminum). I could find only 3 mentions in the 1957 Awake! (none of which concerned health). There were 6 mentions in the 1958 Awake!, one of which states that aluminum-ware is "taboo" in one claimed cure for cancer (April 8, 1958, p. 19), and another which gives a positive reference to "cakes of silver aluminum silicate" used in water desalination (September 8, 1958, p. 12). There were only 2 mentions of aluminum in 1959, and both were neutral. In 1960, there were 3 mentions, all neutral as well. It seems that the campaign against the health hazards of aluminum was pretty much stopped between 1950 and 1957.

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

I think the real question here is do you say Uh-looom-a-num? Or Al-you-mini-um?

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Al-you-minium :)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Uh-looom-a-num for me. As in platinum or lanthanum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit