What is truth? Discussion with my mother

by Soldier77 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

I agree with most of the posters above. It sounds as if both your mother and her husband also have doubts - only now it is a matter of where to go instead. Inkie gave you the perfect answer to that.

It can be scary to start thinking for yourself after you've let an organization do that for you for so many years.

You sound as if you did really well. I would, gently as Void said, bring up the 'to whom shall we go', the next time you have this sort of conversation. Keep us posted, please, and don't lose hope.

Tammy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You have done a very good job to get that far with them. You don't need to say any more. It's too early yet. They need time to stew over that conversation.

Sometimes, when we have made a point, it is best to just walk away.

Cheers

Chris

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I think you're doing rather well yourself. Good advice here too....

Loz x

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I think I'll take Black Sheep's advice and let them stew on that conversation for a while. They're leaving to go back home this weekend so we'll see what transpires.

I haven't outright told them that I'm leaving the org, but you would have to be daft to not get that idea by the way I've been talking about it.

VoidEater, I too am shocked that they admitted as much to me. After all of that her husband said that he still thinks that it is the true religion. Which makes me shake my head, because I truly believe that it is a matter of the time that they invested/wasted all these years being loyal to the org, in their heads they believe that the org = God's.

It saddens me that people that should have wisdom and experience can't see the whole picture.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I think you need to respect the beliefs of your mother. Remember that this religion is all she has to hang onto and that it brings her happiness. To wrench it from her in the sunset of her life without having a replacement would destroy that happiness. If she finds it fulfilling, why would you want to take it away from her and leave her with nothing?

If the WBTS is wrong (and I agree that it is), its doctrines are wrong and must be rethought. All that stuff about Christmas, Easter and uniforms, not to mention blood, is back at square one. The doctrine of life after death being one of bleak nothingness also must be reexamined.

The entire religion is a myth. It's a manmade religion because it was started by men and furthered by self-appointed leaders who set themselves up as God's...er...Jehovah's ministers. The Seventh Day Adventists and the churches of Christ were both started by people who believed deeply in what they were doing.

In Isaiah 11, the Millennium is being discussed. Then Isaiah writes: "And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse , which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea.And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.The envy also of Ephraim shall depart, and the adversaries of Judah shall be cut off: Ephraim shall not envy Judah, and Judah shall not vex Ephraim."

Thus, before the Millennium can begin, this "root of Jesse" must appear and stand as an ensign. What is an ensign? It's a banner, or a standard to the gentiles, both Jew and gentile. And during this same time, the Lord would gather Judah back to the land of their fathers. If this root of Jesse has appeared, the trick is in finding him -- and whatever he is or teaches must be the truth. To say that Judah isn't gathering in fulfillment of prophecy is to deny what is before your very eyes. It began in 1896 and gained steam ever since. Thus, finding the root of Jesse must lead you to the correct course.

Think long and hard before destroying something your mother holds so dear. If you're determined to do it, then make sure you have a replacement for her that meets the same needs. If you don't, she'll never forgive you, and I wouldn't blame her. You don't kick the crutch out from under an old man without first giving him something better.

Just my two cents.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Ahh yess the old where will we go conundrum. A master stroke in the conditioning program.

What makes this so powerfull is that JW's are so good in tearing down and destroying other religious beliefs. Once all other religious systems have been exposed as false they offer there's as the only one that Jehovah is using.

I am convinced that Dubs are broken down to 3 categories. 50% Dont believe it but have no choice due to family friends or being too young to go out on there own. 20% believe this crap whole heartedly and look forward to the destructions of billions. The last 30% realize there are flaws but do to the conditioning (where will we go?) they have lost the ability to seek their spiritual path on their own.

Since there is no other religious system for them to turn to they stick with the dubs as the lesser of all the other religious systems. They fail to realize that salvation lies with-in! No organization or group can truly put you on the path to spirituall freedom. Each of us must find and cultivate our own path in this journey of life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit