Patient dies as JW paramedic refuses to administer blood product -- thanks, Religious Freedom Act!

by FatFreek 2005 12 Replies latest social current

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

4/15/1999 Question from readers footnote.

Some Christians working in hospitals have had to consider this factor of authority. A physician might have authority to order medications for or medical procedures on a patient. Even if a patient did not mind, how could a Christian doctor in authority order a blood transfusion or perform an abortion, knowing what the Bible says on such matters? In contrast, a nurse employed at the hospital might not have such authority. As she performs routine services, a doctor might direct her to perform a blood test for some purpose or to care for a patient who came for an abortion. In line with the example recorded at 2 Kings 5:17-19, she might conclude that since she is not the one with authority who orders a transfusion or performs an abortion, she could carry out human services for a patient. Of course, she still would have to consider her conscience, so as ‘to behave before God with a clear conscience.’—Acts 23:1.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I remember a Wt article that addresed the matter of involvment in the job setting. For example if a JW was a customer Service person, behind a counter that had many items to sell and tobacco/lottery tickets were only a percentage of the sale., Then they could perform their duties according to a concience. If the Milk man had to make deliveries on his route that had a Drug Lord, and the other addresses were legit, then it's ok. A medical provider could reason that they are assisting in many ways, and the blood Transfusion is another product/service in the functions of the job.

Definitely, a JW wouldn't work in a Abortion Clinic.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have worked in a hospital setting for many years. I know of several JW nurses who administered blood. I know of none who worked in a hospital and refused. I think this would be a cause for termination.

If a nurse does not want to be a part of this, she or he can simply work in a setting where blood is not administered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit