Ever been counciled for doing a craft??

by lydia 20 Replies latest jw friends

• lydia
    lydia

Coming from Central Pa - I get to see LOTS of quilts - and I have started to quilt myself - although I recieved Lots of council about spending the long hours alone on a quilt ( the Brother apparently Never heard the words "Quilting Bee" ) I finally quit doing them for a while because of the pressure I was getting....

Finnally when I realized that I NEEDED to do some form of craft as a stress reducer ( from all the pressure from the Borg) I told the Elders where to go - and also said " I'd be happy to quit quilting - are you going to pay for the Pyschiatri help and the meds they may prescribe?? this is therapy for me!!"

It shut him up for a bit..

Anyone else ever experience something like this??
    Or...
    Anyone else like to do quilts?

Just wondering....

Lydia

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Lydia

Interesting question! and I have to answer YES!

I used to really enjoy sewing and knitting. In fact, when we were active JWs, most of my two daughters' and my own wardrobe were hand-made (although I used the term "custom designed" heh heh) by me.

When the children were little I started knitting sweaters and winter wear for them too. It would take 30-40 minutes to drive to the meetings, and I used the time to make progress on my projects.

Other sisters knew about my hobbies, and some even shared the same interests and we exchanged patterns. I had a nice collection of patterns for sewing and yarn crafts, as well as a nicely organized sewing room with shelves of fabric.

Anyway, I guess some of the sisters mentioned to their husbands that "oh it would be so nice to be talented like Sister Scully..."; "I'd love to have a nice sewing room like Sister Scully's..." etc, etc. Eventually, some of the husbands complained that their wives wanted these things from them and I was the scapegoat, and the accusation was that I was promoting "materialism" because I had SO MUCH FABRIC!

The book study conductor approached me (in my own home where the book study was held) and tried to be very kind sounding. He said that the brothers were concerned that I was too materialistic because of all the fabric I had, and that it was causing a problem for some of the other sisters in the congregation.

I couldn't help myself. I LAUGHED IN HIS FACE. And then I said, "If you or any other elder EVER try to twist the meaning of 'materialism' like that again, I'm going to write a letter about this to the Circuit Overseer. For your information, I enjoy sewing. I enjoy making clothing for my daughters and me to wear to the Kingdom Hall. I don't appreciate you telling me that I should give up something I enjoy and go spend $200 on a dress for myself when I can make something of equal or better quality for $50. If you have that kind of money for your wife to blow on clothes, then good for you. But if you have a problem with me trying to save my husband's money, then you better go and discuss it with him!"

When I turned it around and made it appear that HE had the problem with 'materialism' instead, he got quite sheepish, and never bothered me about it again! LOL

Love, Scully

• Celia
    Celia

Wow !
    the elders even tell the flock that quilting is not a "wholesome" occupation ???
    What then is ???
    They have to be in control of every part of the flock's life, huh ?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

So, let me get this right...
    You got into trouble for spending long hours alone on a quilt!

Hmmmm, I think we need a JC to get to the bottom of this, boys!!!

• Celia
    Celia

...Of course, it could also be that the elders in their wisdom believe that the time spent quilting would be better spent reading the Society's literature or "selling" it or trying to make converts.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Good for you Scully

I do enjoy doing x-stich when I have the time, but was never counciled for it!

• Mulan
    Mulan

That sounds so weird to me. In our congregation, we had lots of home sewers, including me. It was recommended that we sew to save money. Several of us took classes and made suits for our husbands. They were beautiful too. Don't laugh. I was hired to make suits for several elders.

My aunt counseled me once for spending so much time on genealogy research, but she sure loved the information on the family, that I shared with her. She was serious too, about how the Bible warns about getting involved in genealogy. I laughed and said it didn't mean what she thought it did.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• Scully
    Scully

Angharad,

I used to really love doing cross-stitch, and have a few nicely framed pieces. Then my daughters realized that the embroidery floss was PERFECT for making those friendship bracelets they and their friends love to make for each other. Most of my supplies have "disappeared"!! LOL

Love, Scully

• lydia
    lydia

Bravo Scully!!!

I two sew lot and made many dresses and outfits - I also did some alterations to suits that the brothers bought at Goodwill...never was couciled for that..hummmmm I wonder if it had anything to do with the alterations to the suit and the dress I hemmed for the CO and his wife??? [8>]

I also enjoy doing Counted Cross-Stitch ( I'm working on the "Santa's Magic" design by Miribilla at the moment) but I have had to replace the DMC floss used on several occasions due to my daughters using it for the braceletts...

I did many quilts - I enjoy hand quilting them and designing them too....

And now I can work on some quilts that I always wanted to - like the Drunkards Path.....and Snowmen... things that I was conciled to stay away from ( I stil don't get what was wrong with the snowmen!! )
    I love to decorate for theHolidays - and ceramic's have been added to the list of crafts.. as has Scrapbooking too!!

Fun Stuff!!

Lydia

"She who dies with the most fabric wins!!!"

• freeman
    freeman

I was counseled not for a craft, but for what was at one time just a hobby. I was counseled on how much time I spent reading technical manuals and in pursuit of scientific knowledge. I didn’t listen to the wise counsel then and as a result I went from a TV repairman to working on the Hubbell Space Telescope (my NASA dream job). A little more not listening to the wise counsel and now I find I’m Sr. Systems Engineer keeping the air traffic control system up and running in New York.

To the janitors that tried so hard to admonish this poor lost sheep: I’m sure I’ll regret not listening to your wise counsel one day, but don’t hold your breath boys, don’t hold your breath.

Freeman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit