Supernatural Tony......the 3rd

by snare&racket 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman

I was raise a witness and I was never taught anyone on the Governing Body had any special powers. If you thought that well that's on you my friend.

Weren't they supposed to mediate on the matter, study what the scriptures had to say, pray about it, and then come to a decision? That's what I was always taught by my parents. The GB don't have visions, special divine instruction implanted into their heads, or any special knowledge any other JW may not have. They are just in charge. I've never heard any modern GB member say they were Moses, although I'm sure a few thought it.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Mad Irishman if you look on JW.ORG under the heading 'How does the Governing Body function today?' It says the following:-

'It is responsive to the direction of God’s spirit. The Governing Body looks to the Universal Sovereign, Jehovah, and to the Head of the congregation, Jesus, for guidance.'

I actually found this by putting the phrase spirit directed into the search box on that site. Why? Because that's what the JWs have always said. That the Watchtower is not inspired but it is spirit directed. Meaning what? Directed by a supernatural force as Snare said.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

What part of asking a deity for guidance with your eyes closed and head bowed ,as its spokesman on earth, to be directed by his 'active force' is ....natural? Explainable by science? It is by definition a super-natural claim.

That was kinda my point mad Irish dude....

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Indeed!

Just go up to the local elders and say: "How can we be sure that God speaks through the Governing Body?"

Just watch how quickly you will be hauled before an investigative committee!!!

Hmmm...food for thought!

• galaxie
    galaxie
    If any jw thinks that the gb aka fds parable snatchers come up with nooo light by just having a pow wow they are even more easily duped than I thought, is it not because they claim ' spirit guidance' that they buy into it..? Otherwise it's all just the interpretation and mere words of men.. which is exactly what it is !!! Why would they put their trust in these charlatans without believing they have the supernatural sanction from God's influence ?
  • snare&racket
    snare&racket

Exactly Galaxie,

the last discussion I had with an elder, I raised this point. I asked why they made mistakes, he said "because they are just men reading and interpreting the bible" ....so I said, "well I can do that, surely it is safer that I do it as I know my motives, I don't know these men." He then, like grass in the wind hopped to the ..."well they have gods spirit directing them"...: which brought us back to ..."why do they make mistakes?"

They can't have it both ways....

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    11 hours ago

Mad Irishman

I was raise a witness and I was never taught anyone on the Governing Body had any special powers. If you thought that well that's on you my friend.

Special powers sounds like something out of a comic book. I don't think that I thought they had special powers like that. Although I understand that when the holy spirit was poured out in 33 A.D. they started speaking in different tongues which seems like a special power.

My parents came into the truth in the late 1950's and in the Watchtower of 1961 shortly after they were baptised on page 591 there is an article 'Prophesying with the Loyal Organization' and it talks about the pouring out of the holy spirit and the fulfilment of Joel 2:28-32 'and your sons and daughters will certainly prophesy.' On page 595 it says,

'That organization for which we must look is the one that gives the proof of having God's spirit poured out upon it in these "last days" by doing the foretold prophesying, the 'preaching of this good news of God's kingdom in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations....The record points to the anointed remnant of Jehovah's Christian Witnesses.'

A little further on it says

'The spirit of the God of truth can be expected to cause a purification of the things that are preached by God's approved loyal organization. His spirit would not allow for anyone to prophesy falsehood, the preaching of lies and errors under the cloak of religion.'

I can remember my mother saying how wonderful she felt that we would never grow old and die and as a child I remember my father discussing the last days and the time of the end in the field service and the point that '...the world of unbelieving mankind itself, are to pass away within the lifetime of the generation that saw World War I'(WT 68 pg 43)

My fathers father fought in the first world war and lived a long life and died over 40 years ago and my father died as well living to about the national life expectancy.

So in my view having the holy spirit is sort of a special power.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Around 1988 an "elder" did a pilgrimage to Mecca, I mean Brooklyn Bethel, and like so many other pilgrims was awestruck by supposedly divine GB pronouncements.

You'll like the one he came home with.

Anyone under the age of 60 claiming to be one of the anointed was mentally unstable or ill.

Namely every one of today's GB???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit