Shocking WT Statement on RAPE! Disgusting!

by mentallyfree31 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yknot
    yknot

Yet here is a 'contridiction of sorts a few years before the 84' Awake

*** w81 3/15 p. 11 Insight on the News ***
    To Avoid Rape—Fight!

? “The view that a woman who resists [a rapist] is more likely to be injured or killed is an old wives tale,” declared Detroit Police executive deputy chief James Bannon. “There has never been any evidence to back it up.” On the other hand, Dr. Mary Lystad, director of the National Center for the Prevention and Control of Rape, says new studies prove that “women who used an array of physical and psychological resistance such as screaming, hitting, biting, kicking and attempting to flee were more successful in avoiding rape.”

But women who merely cried or tried to talk their way out were more apt to be raped. In fact, the passive ones also were more likely to be seriously injured than were those who actively resisted the rapist’s advances. “The, thing not to do is act utterly passive,” warned Lystad. “A woman who behaves as if she is weak and defenseless appears to increase her risk of rape.

• UnDisfellowshipped
  • yknot
    yknot

I remember getting into it hardcore with the Nazi PO about this........ .....BTW his response, I was clearly corrupted by having visited my dad's where my stepmother occassionally watched 'Donahue'

Scream quotes...

*** w64 1/15 p. 63 Questions From Readers ***
    Such Scriptural precedents are applicable to Christians, who are under command, “Flee from fornication.” (1 Cor. 6:18) Thus if a Christian woman does not cry out and does not put forth every effort to flee, she would be viewed as consenting to the violation.

Compared to

*** w03 2/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***
    In understanding the application of Deuteronomy 22:23-27, we must realize that this brief account does not cover all possible situations. For example, it does not comment on the situation where the attacked woman cannot scream because she is mute, unconscious, or paralyzed with fear or is forcibly prevented from screaming by a hand or tape over her mouth. However, since Jehovah is able to weigh all factors, including motives, he deals with understanding and justice in such cases, for “all his ways are justice.” (Deuteronomy 32:4) He is aware of what actually took place and of the efforts the victim put forth to fight off her attacker. Therefore, a victim who was unable to scream but otherwise did all she could under the circumstances can leave matters in Jehovah’s hands.—Psalm 55:22; 1 Peter 5:7.

• faundy
    faundy

I never heard this before now, and I considered myself pretty au fait with Awake articles (we weren't allowed to read much else in our house)...

It made me so angry. The WT thinks you can use de-escalation techniques with a rapist? Dream on. Only people who have ever been sexually assaulted will know that there is an intrinsic 'fight or flight' instinct that nobody can make judgements regarding. Some scream, and fight, and defned themselves. Some may realise that keeping quiet until the horrific ordeal is over is the only way to survive.

Either way, rapists are lower than human beings. They are usually male, though, so of course the GB will give them special dispensation.

• Scully
    Scully

Rape isn't a crime of passion. It's about power and control. There's violence and rage behind it. That's been documented beyond dispute.

The dingbat who wrote that trash probably thinks that a man with an erection is entitled to a vagina in which to insert it. After all, he's only human. And being a male, the woman should show a little more respect for the man about to impose himself on her without consent. The fact that he's got an erection and nowhere to stick it makes a rapist the victim - and boy, oh, boy, the WTS loves to blame women for the clothes they wear and flirtatious behaviour or even for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's mildly humorous when a JW woman places a doily or a Kleenex on her head when she's leading a Field Service Arrangement™, but it's this same pitch for control, this contempt for women and the requirement for them to be Submissive™ and under "proper" Headship™ down to the length of skirt she wears and not revealing "too much" [and heaven forbid that she try to wear SLACKS to the Kingdom Hall™ or an Assembly™] that fuels ignorant, moronic comments like this.

A rapist who is using the victim as a substitute for the target of his rage isn't thinking about romance or flowers or love. He's terrorizing and violating a woman at the most profound level possible. Why would anyone give a flying fart about the rapist's "humanity" - he's certainly not thinking about hers.

• yknot
    yknot

Reminds me of the stupidity of a rapist claiming consent because his victim realizing the she was going to be raped regardless asked the rapist to where a condom she had in her nightstand to prevent HIV.....

Men should never write for a woman's POV on sexual matters!...... that is as absurd as me writing about erections and itchy/sweaty testicles!

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Thanks everybody for your comments. I was appalled as well when I saw this.

-mentallyfree31-

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

The context is important here though but people like jumping all over things.

I believe they were trying to convey the idea that this is a trouble person and you should try reason with them not to carry out the act.

It wasn't suggesting showing compassion and understanding to the man while being raped.

5th

P.S. The Society's whole fornication/screaming thing is what is disgusting.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

You said rape twice.

• blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit